Sleepless In Gosford

Scienceman

Boat hooked up on Friday night, quick frozen squid and yakkas for bait all ready for a 4am start on Brisbane water - target: Jewfish / crabs / flathead in that order.

Went to bed early but woke twice so at 1:30am I decided it was better to go fishing rather than lie awake for another 2.5 hours. Beautiful night - warm, full moon and no wind. Put in at Woy Woy and headed up to the Gosford rail bridge as it was the bottom of the out-going tide. 2.5 hours later not a touch. Headed back to my fav spot just at the end of Paddys chanel. How easy is it to get disorientated at night - I headed for the green markers at the start of Paddys but ended up to the right hand side and took about 10 min to work out where I was.

Just as it started to get light plenty of action, unfortunately not on my squid bait. Instead something decides to pick up the yakka strip and takes off, after the run and some head shakes I start to gain line but then the fish decides to surface and does a roll, dislodging the gangs and leaving me with a glimpse of a paddle-like tail in the 1/2 light. I called it for a small 3-4kg jew - BUGGER!

Next was a couple of crabs and a 2kg flattie and a couple more good strong hits / runs with no hook-up. One decent flattie stayed hooked for a few mins but still managed to throw the hook. When the sun got over the horizon things go quiet except for the crabs. Decide to pull up stumps at 9:30am as its going to be a hot day and I'm starting to feel pretty sleepy.

Jewies:1, Me:0

Flatties:1, Me 1

Crabs:0, Me 7

That evening - Singapore chilli crab - mmmm. Even had left overs.

Edited by Scienceman

I do enjoy hittng brisbane waters in the boat with the father-in-law (no boat of my own yet) bad luck on the jewie maybe next time. Im still yet to hook one its funny 2 of us in the boat he will hook 1 and get a couple of drops and i cant even get a taste....

good report

Well done on the crabs and flatties, Scienceman! :thumbup: Brisbane Waters is a great estuary. Shame about the lost jewie - when I was up there in January, they were catching lots of schoolies around the Rip Bridge. Hope you get him next time.

Flattieman.

Went to bed early but woke twice so at 1:30am I decided it was better to go fishing rather than lie awake for another 2.5 hours. Beautiful night - warm, full moon and no wind. Put in at Woy Woy and headed up to the Gosford rail bridge as it was the bottom of the out-going tide. 2.5 hours later not a touch. Headed back to my fav spot just at the end of Paddys chanel. How easy is it to get disorientated at night - I headed for the green markers at the start of Paddys but ended up to the right hand side and took about 10 min to work out where I was.

I'm always sleepless the night before a fishing trip too.

Bad luck on the jew. I was lucky enough to score a small one in the middle of the day, Sunday, out in the bay. They seem to be around at the moment.

It is easy to get disoriented at night. I remember one pitch dark night trying to find my way back into Lintern Channel from the St Hubert's Island end in a little tinny and I wound up inside a fenced oyster lease. Lucky I had a good torch and it was high tide so I wasn't dragging my motor around the racks. Took me a while to work out where I was and how to get back out too.

Good report mate and I bet Singapore Crab is OK.

Thanks livo. The very first time I put the boat in at the Woy Woy ramp (bowls club) at night I headed straight for the Rip Bridge. It was very still and clear and the reflection of the mangrove islands which stand a little to the right did not stand out but blended into the background. All I could see was smooth water between me and the bridge - trouble was it was only a few feet deep. Luck I had my sounder on and when I saw the bottom come up I stopped - and nearly had a heart attack when I realised my situation.

Thanks livo. The very first time I put the boat in at the Woy Woy ramp (bowls club) at night I headed straight for the Rip Bridge. It was very still and clear and the reflection of the mangrove islands which stand a little to the right did not stand out but blended into the background. All I could see was smooth water between me and the bridge - trouble was it was only a few feet deep. Luck I had my sounder on and when I saw the bottom come up I stopped - and nearly had a heart attack when I realised my situation.

I know exactly where you where. My childhood was spent there as my grandparents owned a house on the waterfront just along from the boat ramp.