How Does The Full Moon Effect The Fishing?

RPL

24 members have voted

1. 1. How do the moon cycles effect the fishing

• The full moon is good
    • The full moon doesnt effect fishing
    • The full moon provides unfavourable fishing conditions

Guest lets go fishn

mate dont take that business to serous unless the fish you are targeting are suited to different types of tides eg jews big tides bream small tides

If you get a chance to soak a bait just do it. I used to try all the so called right times with the moon and come away disheartened, especially for jews. The tide is important but being there is the most. The fish in my profile is a 20kg Jew off the beach. Winter, no moon and a run out tide :wacko: I was only there because the former :wife: was carrying on like in the little figure on the screen. Maybe luck but, I have been rewarded the most when I really thought I was going to waste my time.

BP.

Prawns, sealice and the rest of the bottom end of the food chain are all really effected by the moon.

So it really depends on the type of fish your targeting and the areas fished.

I have snapper spots that fire on a full moon all night, yet can't lose a bait there on a new moon,

Other stages of the moon cycle every bait their gets taken by small sharks.

And other spots are the total reverse.

Other fish it makes not really much difference - If you want to target Jewfish and Snapper you've got

to keep a diary fish a few spots reguarly that you know the species your targeting have been caught there before. Note the wind, tide,moon,water temp and times you fished and at what times and what sort of

fish you've caught and you'll soon start to see patterns form.

For snapper this is vital - I have a spot that fires for 12lbs'ers perfect for the easter BBQ and their only

there good friday night for an 1hour at the bottom of the tide dusk and again at midnight when the tide turns and I've caught them 4 years in a row -

Another mate bagged out 3 years in a row in 12 feet of water in a boat channel 500 metres from the ramp but only on a certain tide/time once a year.... Luck and just being out on the water will get you these spots and times ... keeping a diary will help you work out why it is so.

The Moon Up/Moon down (maori fishing calender times) also make interesting reading I have a casio watch that vibrates for the moon up/moon down time for North Head lat/long

Just get out there keeps some records, swap info with others and it will all help.

Netting, Bad weather, water too hot/water too cold/family commitments/valentines day/overtime/

boat problems and 1000's of other things effect fishing which cant be calculated, but for me 8 years

fishing the same piece of rock for snapper and keeping a dairy has paid off and at the right tide/time/moon/weather more times that not I'll get more than I need. And outside those

times i know its not worth the fuel to go their.

The best snapper/mulloway fisherman all go to their graves with their fishing diaries, and most

snapper charters down south have either got their dad's pro fishing diaries or bought them from a retired

pro.

Other fish species it might not matter at all about the moon, as wind,temps and bait schools might be

the biggest factors.

This year the Kings are on fire in Sydney Harbour - Who could have predicted that the Govt would ban

trawling in the harbour due to dioxin leaving it full of the "by-catch" ( read kingfish food ) that is normally killed. Or netting of bream, There are heaps of good sized dioxin filled bream around as well, they may have three eyes so you need to use light line but they still fight good.

Jason

I don't really care.

I fish all the time anyway. Around the fulll moon though there is a big tide and a small tide. Often, a lot of the places I fish are not fishable when all that water is moving around on that big tide.

davo