Penn 220gto

mcownage

I have a penn 220GTO overhead reel and i have noticed in a lot of photos that people where fishing off the rocks with similar reels. Now i assume there casting. I have tryed to cast mine and i just end up with birds nest going on. Maybe my reel is not designed for casting or maybe im just hopless.

Here is a photo of my reel can anyone let me know if its catable and if it is give me some tips please:

post-3300-1173308237_thumb.jpg

Hi Mate, those reels are better suited to a 'lob' cast... similar to the way people cast TLD's and the like... Try casting it with the ratchet on which will stop your birds nests. otherwise you will need a long rod, 10-12 foot long, and alot of practice to train your thumb.

I found a good article on overhead casting at:

http://www.bishfish.co.nz/articles/salt/beatbacklash.htm

I took mine out in the backyard and gave it a test i manage to figure it out it would probably go further with a thinner line and a bigger rod i have 50lb on it for trolling the kingies. Maybe some good braid. Seeing the posts with the huge kingies brought in off the rocks with overheads gave me the idea to try it.

Does the reel have an adjustable knob on it somewhere that tightens the spool up when free spooling.

Hrd to explain, put it in free spool adjust a few knobs on the reel till you find the one that puts more tension on the spool.

cheers james

Does the reel have an adjustable knob on it somewhere that tightens the spool up when free spooling.

Hrd to explain, put it in free spool adjust a few knobs on the reel till you find the one that puts more tension on the spool.

cheers james

yes here

post-3300-1173330132_thumb.jpg

Guest IFishSick.

Don't worry about getting into tangles even after 4 or 5 sessions. I'm still struggling with my little baitcaster, although I think it may be due to not enough line on the spool as it is half full. Lost 3 lures in the last 2 weeks :ranting2: