Honda Crv Towing A Bayliner

locodave

Hey I was wondering whether you guys think a HOnda CRV can tow a bayliner ?

http://international.bayliner.com/bowrider...p?modelid=89214

Because I was looking out over the weekend and only saw like 3L and 4Lfour wheel drive towing them :(

What do you guys think?

G'day Locodave,

I've got a Bayliner 2050 (20'6") bowrider which is probably a tad over 1500kg, which I tow with a RAV4, which is legal to 1500kg. You'd want to check the towing capacity of the CRV. If its only 1200kg, then you will be over by the time you add fuel, gear etc.

Well I towed a dingo and trailer about 1500 kilos on the weekend with my Honda CRV and whilst the Honda towed it, it was heavy work and I also had the joy of towing the dingo up a slight ramp that was wet and the four wheel drive had to engage. All wheels were spinning and moral is that normal AV tires wont give you the grip that you sometimes may need to get up the ramp. I had coopers on so they were good tyres.

The lack of torque towing 1.5 tonnes is a hassle.

For occasional or short trips the Honda will be ok but if possible get something with more power.

Make sure that the hitch and the back suspension can take the weight also.

A smaller vehicle WILL tow a large boat , but it does put a lot of strain on the engine and drive train. It will tow it for a short time / distance , but the longer you do it , the more likely serious ( read Expensive$$$$) damage could be done.

Another consideration is the towing vehicles braking ability . You dont want the situation of the boat " driving" the car. Smaller cars have smaller brakes than larger cars for a reason , they are only required to pull up less weight. Throw another 1.5 tonnes on the back , and even with trailer brakes , you are entering the territory of an underbraked combination. Very risky.

Ross

Thanks guys, good points :)

Maybe just stick to an aluminium boat then less weight, thanks for all your help :)

ok 1200kg with a braked trailer! :wacko:

Aw, come on Locodave, it's only money! Why not get the new boat and upgrade the Honda to an MDX??!! :074:

Guest lets go fishn

mate i got a CRV aka ladies mover.

ive towed boats up to 6m no problem and my boat which is a 5.5 m glass boat.

dont think you will have a problem towing it if its not to heavy.

another thing the towing recommendations on the vehicle are guidlines and dont void insurances and so forth.

Hey all,

Isn't there something in NSW about the weight of the vehicle being more than three quarters of the weight of the thing being towed or similar, I know I haven't gotten it completely right but you get the drift. What has been said about the capacity of the engine/drive train and breaks, traction etc all true and good points.

Brenton

Hey all,

Isn't there something in NSW about the weight of the vehicle being more than three quarters of the weight of the thing being towed or similar, I know I haven't gotten it completely right but you get the drift. What has been said about the capacity of the engine/drive train and breaks, traction etc all true and good points.

Brenton

Hey Brenton,

I bought my boat last June and I tow it with my 1998 EL Ford six all up its just under 2000kg. The towing capacity is 2300kg I spoke to the RTA and they say as long as you dont exceed the manufactures towing recomendations your fine, same story with my insurance company so once all that was sorted out I bought the boat. Did some mods to the car but it towes very well and stable lots of power but braking earlier has to be in your mind all the time to avoid idiots.

the crv auto is rated 1.2 with brakes, manual is 1.5

seeing as though the bayliner weighs just over 1 ton, you could maybe get away with it, but don't forget fuel and gear add a lot to this figure. And as someone else said, towing with a small car can put massive strain on the gearbox and motor, so make sure you take it easy and don't tow it to QLD.

Also be careful of insurance, if your towing more then your vehicle is rated to, you will not get insured.