Downriggers

tuffy

Hey Raiders, I thought I would post pics of the DR I made myself ( with some assistance from a friendly welder). Being the tightarse that I am, I could not bring myself to shell out the big bucks for a Scotty or similar - they say that necessity is the mother of invention - so see what you think. It actually works quite well but I haven't caught any thing on it as yet -not the fault of the downrigger!!!

Also, the bomb was made from a lead window counter weight and modified accordingly - weighs about 3kg.

Tuffy ( Russ)

post-869-1174009377_thumb.jpg

post-869-1174009298_thumb.jpg

post-869-1174009310_thumb.jpg

post-869-1174009326_thumb.jpg

post-869-1174009340_thumb.jpg

post-869-1174009348_thumb.jpg

post-869-1174009360_thumb.jpg

post-869-1174009369_thumb.jpg

Used ally tube, but inside my top tube is a length of flat ally on edge to give added strength. The tube that carries the reel seat is about 35mm dia. and the one that sits in the rod holder is 40mm dia. If you're going to make one, make sure that the top tube diameter is sized to fit the reel seat you buy as they come in different inside diameters. Also make sure you buy an ally reel seat not graphite, for extra strength.

Any extra questions , just ask.

Russ.

Used ally tube, but inside my top tube is a length of flat ally on edge to give added strength. The tube that carries the reel seat is about 35mm dia. and the one that sits in the rod holder is 40mm dia. If you're going to make one, make sure that the top tube diameter is sized to fit the reel seat you buy as they come in different inside diameters. Also make sure you buy an ally reel seat not graphite, for extra strength.

Any extra questions , just ask.

Russ.

Thanks mate,

I also feel that the manufactured units are dramatically overpriced for what they are. I've been watching eBay in the States where you can pick up cheap stuff but you have to pay postage. Still cheaper than buying here though.

Now that I've seen your pics I wont buy one at all. I don't think a Kingy is going to know whether or not I'm using a Fathom Master or a Scotty or what I will affectionately call the TUFFY.

Greg.