Tld25 Or Daiwa Sealine Ld50h

AdamK

looking at a new trolling outfit for Kingies, Salmon, tuna etc... Can''t decide which model to get. I have narrowed it down to the TLD25 or Daiwa Sealine LD50H

The Daiwa supposedly has better parts inside and has a 2 drag setting unlike the TLD which only has 1. Any other pros and cons

Look forward to hearing from anyone

Adam

The daiwa is a smaller reel than the TLD25. Its probably around the size of a TLD15. The LD50H are very good reels and have been around for some time now, definately up there with the TLD''s, they are popular with some light tackle LBG guys. The reel you are thinking of with the dual drag is the Sealine SLD30, which is a similar sized reel to the TLD25. They look good, but time will tell if they perform as good as the TLD''s. I have two tld25''s and a tld50 and reckon they''re the bees knees.

Hey Adam,

Take a look at the TICA range of lever drags mate. I picked one up from a store (SG distributor) in Singapore 2 months ago, and it is an awesome piece of kit. They are distributed here in Aust by Juro I think, however they have an enormous mark-up on them compared with Singapore.

My plan is exactly as yours, kingies and other pelagics. I have it spooled with 50lb braid that is colour coded each 10M so you can see how much line you have out. Apparently the Japanese deep jigging freaks have developed this idea and it is a winner in my book.

PM me for details mate as they are prepared to ship here if required

Just a thought mate...hope I haven''t added further to an already difficult decision!!

Cheers

My plan is exactly as yours, kingies and other pelagics. I have it spooled with 50lb braid that is colour coded each 10M so you can see how much line you have out. Apparently the Japanese deep jigging freaks have developed this idea and it is a winner in my book.

mate, I''ll consider them aswell. I have sent you a PM

interesting about the colour coding. Could you elaborate on that pls

Adam

Yeah this colour coded braid is top shelf stuff, but available only in the heavier line classes. I have not yet seen it available here, as it has been designed with the Japanese market in mind....think those Daiwa Saltiga guys, jigging 400gm Sea Rocks in 300M + of water!! :-rod (only without the smiling face!!)

Effectively, it is dyed a different colour every 10 metres, so as you free spool out your jig or bait you can see how much line has been fed out and thus confirm the depth at which you are fishing.

Not sure if it will make a difference to my fishing but was keen to give it a whirl.

As I say mate, would be happy to show you the combo whenever we can manage it.

Rgds,

Byron

The single plated LD50h is designed as a casting Leverdrag thus no top bracket .it works well as a trolling reel but I wouldnt put it in front of anything really large. The single plate tld 25 and the dual drag daiwa SLD30 are true 15kg trolling reels the TLD is graphite bodied and the SLD is full Ali.

wouldnt use any on fish like sambos absolute overkill as they are all game reels IMHO

The Okumas are getting a very bad rep on bigger fish. corroding and lumping apparently

post-14-1092148265_thumb.jpg

Edited by allen glover

Hey Allen,

Nice to see you back on the boards!! Where you been fella??

Brother-in-law is happy with his new Daiwa Dual-speed Sealine, but for the money the TICA looks great and has all the bells and whistles. Have only heard anecdotally regarding performance, but apparently very good quality reels if you can get them offshore at better prices.

Ridiculous that the Australian distributor should be so greedy on mark-up compared with places like Singapore. TICA don''t really have a name hear yet, and will struggle at the current prices I think, without some serious endorsement at least.

Rgds,

Byron

The single plated LD50h is designed as a casting Leverdrag thus no top bracket .it works well as a trolling reel but I wouldnt put it in front of anything really large. The single plate tld 25 and the dual drag daiwa SLD30  are true 15kg trolling reels the TLD is graphite bodied and the SLD is full Ali.

wouldnt use any on fish like sambos absolute overkill as they are all game reels IMHO

allen,

thanks for the comments.

Just a bit confused. I thought the LD50H was also graphite and what do you mean by single plated. would you not recommend the LD50H as a trolling option.

As for the TLD25 you say that it is a true trolling reel but you would not recommend for sambos, kingies etc.. (is it an overkill). I know Bashir uses his TLD25/50''s for chasing the likes of marlin, tuna etc..

Adam

Andrew,

Mate it was some fancy Japanese name that I would do well to spell yet alone pronounce!!

I will try and find out for you though. I have never seen it in Australia (not that I have looked very hard), and bought it from the Singapore retailer that recommended it.

He showed me 2 of his own jigging reels rigged up identically to the one I bought, so that made the decision easy....he could have spooled up with anything he liked and yet this stuff was his choice.

I will say it looks pretty bizarre on the reel, what being multicoloured and all, but i like the idea!!

I will show it to you when you check out the St Croix that Allen Glover built up for me

Guest hottuna

The Ld50h id graphite, AG mentioned that the sld series are ali as opposed to tld which are graphite.

I have a ld50h and fish 5kg drag with 50lb braid and its handling it fine for now, only had it for a yr or so, i wouldn`t have a problem putting infront of small bills which id like to do this yr, a change to mono will be in order. (reading the lastest blue water and there are guys chaing bills on 2 and 3 with success. It would handle 10 no problem.

We sell the tica in store and are fansasticly priced compared to anything else, just recieved delivery of the new 20 and 50 sizes this week which soild fit the holes the 30s left.

Great reels i just hate the clicking noise they constanlty make which does affect there sales.

Anyway getting back to the point id go a ld50h no problems, but for serious kings i always use inter 30s and 50s ( ANYTHING IN THAT 30/50SIZE) esp in shallow water.

Dan

allen,

thanks for the comments. 

Just a bit confused.  I thought the LD50H was also graphite and what do you mean by single plated.  would you not recommend the LD50H as a trolling option. 

As for the TLD25 you say that it is a true trolling reel but you would not recommend for sambos, kingies etc.. (is it an overkill).  I know Bashir uses his TLD25/50''s for chasing the likes of marlin, tuna etc..

Adam

Adam

The LD50 H and SLD are very different reels (pic of SLD belowand LD50 on previous post)

the LD 50H is a single drag plate whereas the SLD is dual drag plated meaning 2 drag plates one on either side of the spool instead of just a single plate usually on the off handle side as in TLDs.

I said using a TLD for Sambos, not Kings is overkill.

post-14-1092220829_thumb.jpg

Edited by allen glover

I wasn''t going to post but then i spotted a pic of the first trolling outfit i bought yrs ago which reminded me of a misconception i had (and i suspect many others also) when chasing inshore fish.

If you''re chasing kings, tuna and "salmon" then you''re probably trolling around the heads and maybe a few kms out. A decent lever drag outfit will be overkill, bit unfortunate because they look pretty cool.

I''d shelve the lever drag and get something like a shimano torium - just as good as the trinidad (same internals) but has a cast frame rather than forged so it''s cheaper. It''ll probably outlast a little TLD and be more versatile - the torium is 6:1 can be used for jigging etc - can cast lures and baits easier. Spool it up with 50lb braid and you''ll be set. A big bait runner spooled with braid is also great for this type of work.

Lever drags aren''t really that useful for the lighter stuff - shame really cos they''re cool and ppl think you''re a great fisho if u have a set of shiny gold reels in every rod holder :)