Time For Fishing!?

vitsyk

Hi,

Does anyone know when is the best time to go fishing of the rocks, inside harbor?

Every time I go I come most of the time empty!!!!!

Can anyone give me advice ? Is it connected with tides or with weather , where can I find this reports?????

:1welcomeani::1fishing1:

Probably both!

I normally fish from high tide down towards the low tide. Its when the fish begin to eat :D

Weather to me normally depends when your on a boat, yo don't want to be stuck in the wind, learnt that the hard way :thumbdown:

If you look above on the main menu on this site you will see 'Tides' click on that, seabreeze.com.au is always good to look at too!

I went fishing today from 9 till 1pm but it was dead! Came Cove. Only octopuses! And it was i think from high to low tide. May be place i 'm fishing is wrong, but lot of people around sometimes.

Edited by Flightmanager

Hi vitsyk,

Try not to go fishing during office hours. Short trips of two or three hours at sun-up and at dusk are the go for many species.

Target a particular species of fish, rather than just "going fishing". Bream, flathead or blackfish are good species to start with if you're shore fishing: they are plentiful for much of the year and can be caught close to shore in shallow water, so there's no need to cast very far and basic tackle is all you need.

Then learn all you can about that species and how to catch it by reading books and magazines and talking to others, particularly local anglers who are catching fish. A friendly smile and a few sensible questions, and you will receive useful tips about how to catch that species.

There's no substitute for good local knowledge. Time of year, weather conditions, state of the tide, bait or lure to use, how you rig up, and where you cast can all be critical.

Be observant and think about what's going on around you. You will learn much that will move you closer to catching a fish, even if you're not successful on that occasion.

When you do become good at catching one species and need a new challenge, move on to the next species and follow the same approach. And then the next. Eventually, you'll be able to target a range of species, depending on what's around, and improve your chances of a good bag.

However, even when you do all the right things you can still come up empty. We all do from time-to-time. That's the nature of fishing. But if we could be assured of catching something every time we went fishing, where would the challenge be?

Hope this helps.

Bob

Edited by kenmare

Kenmare's given good advice there vitsyk.

If you're not catching fish it's unlikely that the tides are the problem - you really should be able to catch fish in the harbour at all tides.

If you answer the following questions I reckon the Raiders here can give you much more useful tips on how to break your fishing drought:

1. (Most important question) What type of fish are you fishing for?

2. What type of water are you fishing, i.e. rocky shoreline, weedy bottom, sandy bottom, depth etc?

3. What type of bait and rig are you using?

If you can give us this basic info we will be better able to tell you what you're doing wrong (if anything).

Kenmare's given good advice there vitsyk.

If you're not catching fish it's unlikely that the tides are the problem - you really should be able to catch fish in the harbour at all tides.

If you answer the following questions I reckon the Raiders here can give you much more useful tips on how to break your fishing drought:

1. (Most important question) What type of fish are you fishing for?

2. What type of water are you fishing, i.e. rocky shoreline, weedy bottom, sandy bottom, depth etc?

3. What type of bait and rig are you using?

If you can give us this basic info we will be better able to tell you what you're doing wrong (if anything).

What type of fish are you fishing for?

Actually…???? Good question . Usually I catch flatheads, breams, tailors, leather jackets, etc. So , if I go I’m want catch a good size fish.

What type of water are you fishing, i.e. rocky shoreline, weedy bottom, sandy bottom, depth etc?

Most of the time I go inside the harbor( weedy bottom and sandy) , sometimes rocky shoreline. The problem is I don’t know much about fishing here. But I like fishin very much , if I have a spare hour I just go fishing .

What type of bait and rig are you using?

That’s my problem ….. I don’t know where and how to catch a live bite. So most of the time I use frozen pilchard , prawns, and froze squid, sometimes I buy from the bite shop… not so frozen. But most of the time pilchard. Tried chicken as well

THanks

Hi vitsyk,

Why not do a search of this site and see what you can find out about catching (say) bream? There should be plenty of those around over the next month or two where you fish.

Then do a search of other Australian fishing websites to see what else you can find out about bream and how to catch them.

Bream are a scavenger as well as a hunter, so they will take a wide range of baits, and also small hard-bodied and soft plastic lures. But they can be difficult to catch unless you fish as light as the conditions and currents will allow: light rod and reel, light line, and little or no lead sinker (most important).

If you use bait, try to choose a tough one that will survive attack by pickers (little nuisance fish) until the bream turn up -- salted pilchards, squid, chunks of garfish and mullet, crab pieces, pieces of chicken breast in parmesan cheese or cheap cuts of steak marinated in tuna oil, and fish or chicken gut can all be good.

The best way to ensure you have good quality bait is to catch and prepare your own. You can do this doing office hours and then go fishing at dawn or dusk when the bream are feeding most actively.

You might even do some snorkeling while the water is still warm, so you can see which areas the bream prefer. They are usually in schools close to sandy bottoms around the edges of rocks and structures, such as wharfs and jetties. This is where you need to cast your bait or lure.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

Hi vitsyk,

Why not do a search of this site and see what you can find out about catching (say) bream? There should be plenty of those around over the next month or two where you fish.

Then do a search of other Australian fishing websites to see what else you can find out about bream and how to catch them.

Bream are a scavenger as well as a hunter, so they will take a wide range of baits, and also small hard-bodied and soft plastic lures. But they can be difficult to catch unless you fish as light as the conditions and currents will allow: light rod and reel, light line, and little or no lead sinker (most important).

If you use bait, try to choose a tough one that will survive attack by pickers (little nuisance fish) until the bream turn up -- salted pilchards, squid, chunks of garfish and mullet, crab pieces, pieces of chicken breast in parmesan cheese or cheap cuts of steak marinated in tuna oil, and fish or chicken gut can all be good.

The best way to ensure you have good quality bait is to catch and prepare your own. You can do this doing office hours and then go fishing at dawn or dusk when the bream are feeding most actively.

You might even do some snorkeling while the water is still warm, so you can see which areas the bream prefer. They are usually in schools close to sandy bottoms around the edges of rocks and structures, such as wharfs and jetties. This is where you need to cast your bait or lure.

Regards,

Bob

THANX

I"M GOING FISHING GUYS!!!! :wife:

Yes! Not totally new but I have lived here in Australia for 5 years.

I’m from Eastern Europe.

Use to fish there for carp and other freshwater fish . But here is different , ….more space ,more possibilities and I love it! :1fishing1:

Of course it’s going to take time until I get to know all your guys fishing tricks and tips but I’ll have enough patience. SO, Good luck for me and of course for you guys!!!!!

Lets fishing!!!! :thumbup: