Lake Illawarra 23/3

silverbike

Well, the FP (fishing partner) and myself headed down to the Lake bright and early this morning.

Went up to the top of the "lagoon" and fished the shore from the old breakwall back towards the carpark.

The FP hooked and lost a big flattie off the wall, about 70 cm :05:

Moved back towards the pipe, FP catches 2 flatties in about 2 minutes :1badmood: Luckily, I bag the next 3, but due to forgetting the correct legal length, let a 35cm flattie go. Then I proceeded to lose a whopper (so close!) and about 10 minutes later, so did the FP (but mine was bigger, of course) :1prop:

So, caught a total of 8 fish in about 4 1/2 hours, with 4 keepers between 38-45cm. Not a bad day at all.

There was a young guy fishing up from us, who caught 2 nice flatties in quick time, and gave them to the blokes fishing the other side of him. Apparently he was supposed to be at school, and couldn't take them home in case his dad found out he wasn't.

Ah good, I WAS right and he wasn't.

BTW, the signs at the lake still say 33cm, hence the confusion.

:1yikes: That'd be for sand flatties?...

Well done on the fish landed, shame about all the bigguns lost!!! :thumbup:

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

Well, the FP (fishing partner) and myself headed down to the Lake bright and early this morning.

Went up to the top of the "lagoon" and fished the shore from the old breakwall back towards the carpark.

The FP hooked and lost a big flattie off the wall, about 70 cm :05:

Moved back towards the pipe, FP catches 2 flatties in about 2 minutes :1badmood: Luckily, I bag the next 3, but due to forgetting the correct legal length, let a 35cm flattie go. Then I proceeded to lose a whopper (so close!) and about 10 minutes later, so did the FP (but mine was bigger, of course) :1prop:

So, caught a total of 8 fish in about 4 1/2 hours, with 4 keepers between 38-45cm. Not a bad day at all.

There was a young guy fishing up from us, who caught 2 nice flatties in quick time, and gave them to the blokes fishing the other side of him. Apparently he was supposed to be at school, and couldn't take them home in case his dad found out he wasn't.

i've done that a few times and don't blame him at all :1prop:

sounds like a great session, i must get down there one day

Gongfisho, all the larger ones were sighted, and each one cut or broke either the main line or the leader. We use 15lb Penn line, with a metre leader of 30lb Penn sea-line on double ended swivels. But that's how it goes, we had great fun.

At least the FP's knots no longer come undone at critical moments since I taught him a different knot!

BTW, had no hits at all on fresh prawns, but we were hooking up using whitebait with a slow flick-and-retrieve.

If you have a boat, fish the weed bed between the bridge and the island on the ocean side, and under the bridge there. Some older dude was there yesterday and finished with a dozen very nice bream.

Edited by silverbike

Oh well mate thats good fishing! though I reckon the more ya let go the better I like to keep the middle sized ones 40-50cm and let the others go. I think those poor buggers have invested way to long in growing to the likes of 65cm + for us to get a feed especially since they are the breeders and the future of our fisheries!

As a rule we never keep anything over 50cm. The guys at the bait shops there are starting to get really peeved about people taking and killing the larger breeding stock, especially while the females are all full of roe. I'm sure all the Fishraiders fish Responsibly, we just need to educate others!