Sunday Fish With Uncle Kelvin

R_Zee

G'day fellow fishos...

met up with Kelvin at 5:00am at his house..

the weather report on the radio wasnt good at all so i wasnt really sure what the day has to hold..

Kelvin had to go back in and get a jumper as it was a little colder than usual.

I questioned the weather as the bureau issued a strong wind warning for enclosed waters..

Kelvin replied "the Southerlies dont bother me much.. all the squidding spots are sheltered"

i guess i had to wait and see.

We had The ramp at Roseville for ourselves on a Sunday, i was thinking we're the only fools out here!

we got 8 squid in an hour or so.. the wind didnt help but my new squidding outfid did... got 4 good size squid in a row... Kelvin performed under pressure and equalised in a hurry! :1prop:

when we got to the main harbour it was blowing with white caps.

downrigged a squid at spot 1 and Kelvin picked up a nice 90cm+ kingy

we then decided to move after pickers took the heads off our squids.. bloody tailor

spot 2 i picked a king close to 80cm

we got some more fish on strips ... ended up keeping 7 odd fish including an samson fish and a tailor.

Thanks for the day out Kelvin, will see you on wednesday morning... another day, another report

Cheers,

Tony

post-2217-1174905254_thumb.jpg

post-2217-1174905293_thumb.jpg

post-2217-1174905326_thumb.jpg

post-2217-1174905357_thumb.jpg

post-2217-1174905478_thumb.jpg

Edited by R_Zee

Glad to be your "üncle" TOny!!!

You are becoming an excellent fisho and a great deckie...even helped out cleaning out the ink that silly cuttle fish squirted all over the boat.

Crappy weather but good fishing with great company. WHat else could one ask??? See you wednesday. CHeers Kelvin

some of those fish look huge, well done!

I thought it would be more bumpy out in the harbour but looks OK in the pics. The southerly was quite strong in the AM around soccer fields in the Eastern suburbs so I was suprised to hear that anyone went out.

Were you downrigging the whole time.? When you use squid strips do you clean the skin off the body and cut into lengths or does it not matter?

RobMc

we downrigged half our baits..

some people like to skin the strip and use a clean white bait.

i leave the skin on and dip it in ink!

just make sure what ever you do that the bait doesnt spin.. try to feed the hook into it like a worm, or just hook it once .

Tony

that is absolutely brillant.

:1yikes: i just cant believe the size of these brutes, man we are so bloody lucky to have such good fishing in so close.

top effort and well done on the courage to head out even with the beurea's predictions. :thumbup:

Tony (and kelvin),

Great report and well done! We were catching Kings of equal size at the Banks on the South coast over January on 300-400gm jigs. I can not believe the sheer size of the ones in the harbour! Amazing and a great sign of the harbour recovering.

I saw your boat in the other post Tony- Looks nice and big and comfy, what is it?

On the Kings- At what depth do you usually downrigging your squid at? And are you holding them above the bait balls on the sounder or beneath?

Are you guys using full fresh squid generally?

Sorry for all the questions, just wouldnt mind getting myself amongst a few in the near future, and things are slowing down outwide, so why not go for a back breaking session on some Kings?

Cheers

Anthony

no probs Anthony,

the boat is 23 foot sport fisher, 175 four stroke Honda pushes it with ease..

i try different depths... try to find the big fish on the sounder and go to the correct depth.

when i only see bait i usually go in the middle of em, if that doesnt work i go a little deeper.

im not a real expert on that, still in trial and error.

i use live or fresh squid, not a big fan of downrigging strips, seems to work for people though

Edited by R_Zee

Very well done guys, Those conditions were pretty horrid and you guys did very well, was pretty pumped after my chat with Kelvin on Sunday morning, especially when he told me you guys were pulling some bigguns.....wanted to come out aswell but my 4.75 alum would not have handled the conditions aswell as the 6m + rigs you guys were on.

Well done and hopefully we can rip into them this weekend

no probs Anthony,

the boat is 23 foot sport fisher, 175 four stroke Honda pushes it with ease..

i try different depths... try to find the big fish on the sounder and go to the correct depth.

when i only see bait i usually go in the middle of em, if that doesnt work i go a little deeper.

im not a real expert on that, still in trial and error.

i use live or fresh squid, not a big fan of downrigging strips, seems to work for people though

hey tony you said that you dont like downrigging the strips, can i ask why.

i use the strips and they seem to work ok although i have noticed that you do get a bit more peckers with the smaller strips.

"Great report and well done! We were catching Kings of equal size at the Banks on the South coast over January on 300-400gm jigs. I can not believe the sheer size of the ones in the harbour! Amazing and a great sign of the harbour recovering."

Anthony- The kings in sydney harbour are there because the conditions suit them. Whether it is the food supply, water temps, salinity...etc. The harbour is not a nursery for the kings unlike a lot of other species of fish.

As you know some fish species use the estuaries as a nursery. FOr example, you won't see too many knobby headed snapper in the harbour but kings breed offshore and grow off shore. Some of the smallest kings I have caught have been miles off shore!!!!

SOme of the biggest kings I have seen and caught have been in esturine waters. Pittwater, Cowan, sydney harbour, middle harbour holds some very large kings. Of course you will get big kings offshore as well but don't discount the water that is at our doorstep. Just because there are a lot of rats around doesn't mean that the bigger boys aren't there. YOu just need to re-adjust and start targetting the bigger kings that are around. Cheers kelvin

P.S In 3 deep water jigging trips, I have scored a donut in all.ON everyone of those trips, I had to return to the inshore areas and pulled one good king after another. Shouldn't have bothered wasting fuel to get out!!!

hi R_Zee and Kelvin

Some very nice fish there,congrats. Tell me when you are anchored close to structure(as you were on Sunday at the Wedding cakes)and the sounder is showing lots of big fish and bait balls, do you still burley or is it superfluous?

Regards Kit

I know Tony won't mind answering this subject. Tony has burleyed for kings very successfully. Cubes, bread...etc. I on the other hand very rarely burley. ONly seems to bring about the pickers like bream and squire.

I also find that burley attracts the smaller kings. IF the kings are there and they are in the mood they will hit the baits like a freight train.

The BEST "burley" for a king is a hooked fish.!!! If you hook a king or a tailer or a salmon or just about anything else, keep the hooked fish in the water as long as you can as you will see kings sniffing around. CHeers kelvin

hi R_Zee and Kelvin

Some very nice fish there,congrats. Tell me when you are anchored close to structure(as you were on Sunday at the Wedding cakes)and the sounder is showing lots of big fish and bait balls, do you still burley or is it superfluous?

Regards Kit

yes i do burley sometimes but i have never got a big fish that way.

i usually boil some rice (30 L bucket) and mince a bag of pillied into it, throw some catfood, wateva i find ...

that drives the kings insane... then i throw plastics in the trail..

i've caught up to 40 fish in one day that way... 15 or so keepers (just).

it's good fun.. try it

I know Tony won't mind answering this subject. Tony has burleyed for kings very successfully. Cubes, bread...etc. I on the other hand very rarely burley. ONly seems to bring about the pickers like bream and squire.

I also find that burley attracts the smaller kings. IF the kings are there and they are in the mood they will hit the baits like a freight train.

The BEST "burley" for a king is a hooked fish.!!! If you hook a king or a tailer or a salmon or just about anything else, keep the hooked fish in the water as long as you can as you will see kings sniffing around. CHeers kelvin

Thanks Kelvin and Tony for the info on burley. Yes, I too have noticed that kings are inquisitive and hang around if there is a hooked king in the water. I try and leave one in the water if I see another king following a hooked one.

Regards Kit

Edited by cruisecraft