Boat Seat Installation

majed1965

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to fix box seats to fibreglass boat floors? ie. What type of bolts / screws to use and how do they actaully hold on the boat floor and do i need to use the special marine silicon for waterproofing?

I am actually thinking of making my own box bases for storage and attach them to the boat floor. Then affix a seat with a metal swivel on top of it.

Thanks.

Majed,

The best way is to be able to get uder the floor and use stainless steels bolts and washers.

An fitting an inspection plate behind each seat would help get access, but depending on the

boat this may not be possible.

316 Stainless coach bolt/screws can be used - but you really need to know whats under the floor

and the depth and condition of the floor. If you can get a few of the coach screws into the stringers

under the floor it will certainly make it a long stronger.

Remember your seats need to take 80-100kgs (adult weight) and hold this weight over waves

and in rough weather. If the seats breaks away over a wave it could be big trouble. The height of

the seats acts like a lever without spreading the stress through the floor they can easily

crack the floor mounts. Box seats are not as bad as pedestal seats as the bases are usually wider

Without seeing the box seat design/material you might be able to glass them to the floor, which

would make them as strong as the rest of the boat.

For marine sealant try "sikaflex" or "sikaflex marine" or "sikalfex gold" they all work really well

Jason