Botany Bay Fad

njsconst

Just a quick report.

Got up early this morning and went out to the Botany Bay FAD full of hope after my efforts last week.

The pressure was on as the :wife: was anticipating fish for dinner again.

Water temp in the bay was 20'C and it rose slightly to 21.5'C out at the close FAD. Tried everything from lures to live bait for not even a touch.

Decided to continue another 6kms out to the BB Wide FAD.... Water temp there was 21.7'C and no dollies there either.

The water out there at the moment is that horrible green colour that doesn't hold any decent fish.

Oh... well we had a nice lasagne for dinner instead!

Edited by njsconst

At least you had a go. It's a long way to go out there for green water and no fish but we've nearly all done it and done it again. Isn't it good when it works out though and how you quickly forget or accept those dud trips.

It would be cheaper to buy your fish at the supermarket or costly fish munger but who wants to eat Bassa fillets from some river in Vietnam or some other imported rubbish?

At least you had a go. It's a long way to go out there for green water and no fish but we've nearly all done it and done it again. Isn't it good when it works out though and how you quickly forget or accept those dud trips.

It would be cheaper to buy your fish at the supermarket or costly fish munger but who wants to eat Bassa fillets from some river in Vietnam or some other imported rubbish?

Your exactly right LIVO! I refuse to by that garbage from the local fish shops. We have the best quality seafood here right on our door step, yet we import that rubbish from Vietnam, Thailand and the like.

No wonder out local pro-fisherman are doing it tough.

Recently I did a fishing trip up at Port Hinichinbrook and caught a heap of Coral Trout, which is probably the second best table fish I've ever eaten (second to Barra). Came back to Port after living on the stuff while out at sea. The local fish shop in Cardwell is selling..... wait for it "IMPORTED Coral Trout"! I could have ripped my hair out!

I asked the local fish monger why they were importing the coral trout when you can catch the stuff right off Port Hinichinbrook itself. His reply, "there is a huge demand for our quality seafood overseas and they are prepared to pay big dollars for it". So what do we do... import their cheap shit fish!

Go figure?????

This is one of about 30 Coral Trout that we

caught over a 7 day trip.... Yum Yum. post-2204-1175076126_thumb.jpg

Your exactly right LIVO! I refuse to by that garbage from the local fish shops. We have the best quality seafood here right on our door step, yet we import that rubbish from Vietnam, Thailand and the like.

Recently I did a fishing trip up at Port Hinichinbrook and caught a heap of Coral Trout, which is probably the second best table fish I've ever eaten (second to Barra). Came back to Port after living on the stuff while out at sea. The local fish shop in Cardwell is selling..... wait for it "IMPORTED Coral Trout"! I could have ripped my hair out!

I asked the local fish monger why they were importing the coral trout when you can catch the stuff right off Port Hinichinbrook itself. His reply, "there is a huge demand for our quality seafood overseas and they are prepared to pay big dollars for it". So what do we do... import their cheap shit fish!

Go figure?????

This is one of about 30 Coral Trout that we

caught over a 7 day trip.... Yum Yum. post-2204-1175076126_thumb.jpg

How recently was that and where abouts?

To be able to catch Coral Trout like that and eat them may well be a memory unless stocks can recover from over fishing. Over the last few years many Qld fisheries have been closed to both Commercial and Recreational fisherman. Especially the areas where Corals congregate to spawn. Many closures where specifically related to this species if I'm not mistaken. Unfortunately a massive number of the "Alpha fish" were caught in their spawning gatherings and sent offshore which has depleted numbers to near a catastrophic situation. About 3 years ago I watched an ABC TV program / debate between the Qld government, Commercial Fishos, Recreational fishos and their equivalent of DPI Fisheries Dep't and it was quite shocking to see what could be done to nearly wipe out a species in no time at all. I think it was on Statewide or 4 Corners or similar.

My father bought a Tackle store / Bait Shop / Boat Hire Business on Hervey Bay to keep himself occupied in retirement 5 years ago and he had to get out after only 2 years due to severe new regulation. I nearly quit my job to go up with him. Glad I didn't.

How recently was that and where abouts?

LIVO,

That was in November 2006... up to a place called Brittomart Reef. Its 80km east of Cardwell/Port Hinichinbrook.

The closures still occur. Infact when we were up there the entire reef was closed to reef fishing for two days due to the coral spawning. However, during the reef fishing closure you can still fish for all the normal pelagics. So during the two day closure we targeted spanish mackeral & YF Tuna. We also went snorkelling and picked up a few painted crays.

post-2204-1175080252_thumb.jpg

Hi njsconst

Did you see any dollies at all or were they just too "shy" to take your offerrings. When I was there 3 weeks ago we got 4 dollies(around60-70cm)at the far FAD but it was hard work and there was hardly any dollies that we could "call" up from the depths despite cubing a fair bit of pillies on each drift past the FAD.

Regards Kit

Edited by cruisecraft

Hi njsconst

Did you see any dollies at all or were they just too "shy" to take your offerrings. When I was there 3 weeks ago we got 4 dollies(around60-70cm)at the far FAD but it was hard work and there was hardly any dollies that we could "call" up from the depths despite cubing a fair bit of pillies on each drift past the FAD.

Regards Kit

KIT,

Didn't see any dollies at all. As a said... I offered them pillies, squidgys, Xmas Tree lures and live Yakkas.

Last week I got them excited with the squidgys and then hooked them on the pillies float back to them.

I really think that this season has been a dud for the dollies, compared with last year.

Guest Big-Banana

On Tuesday a mate went out and got a good feed, he took home about 20. There one day gone the next mate.

I went out yesterday off port kembla same thing here Temp at wave rider was 21.3 passible but not a dollie to be had decided to go to the fisheries fad and as soon as I reach the fad 2 dollies jump out of the water!! I said to my son were in for a good session but we could not even catch one!! There was one other boat out there with no result so we decided to head back in and fish off the islands for one Salmon. Water Temp at the fad was 21.7

Cheers

there is a huge demand for our quality seafood overseas and they are prepared to pay big dollars for it

These two statements are contradictory. So which is the true story?

Not intending to be a smart arse, just curious.

These two statements are contradictory. So which is the true story?

Not intending to be a smart arse, just curious.

I see your point but this is how I read that post.

I think I understand what njsconst was saying but he'll have to confirm if I'm right. He is referring to our LOCAL pros down here in one statement about competing with the fish available in our supermarkets and stores being mainly import stuff. The local fish stocks are down, as we all know, and pro licences have been bought up and those still working are struggling.

The other statement is a quote given to him by the fish munger in QLD who was explaining that fish caught here in Australia has high demand in the export market and so it is sent OS and we buy back in Rubbish to sell here.

As he said "Go figure????"

You can't deny that there is way too much Nile Perch (Africa), Bassa (Vietnam) and other mixed species from who knows where in our shops and little sign of fresh local caught bream, whiting, snapper or kingy. Jewy fillets or cutlets are rare. Flathead sells for $30.00 plus per kilo fresh.

I know a couple of blokes who used to work Offshore commercial boats in North Qld and the Gulf and none of their catch made it to Australian consumers. Giant Banana Prawns, Bugs, Crayfish etc were all sent directly OS.

Of course its different if you can get to the Newcastle Coop or the Sydney Fish Markets.

Your exactly right LIVO. When I refer to our local fishos.... I mean here in Sydney, they really are struggling to make a dollar and keep their heads above water.

The pro fishos up in Nth QLD are doing it a bit easier as they aren't competeing with the crap sold through Coles, Woolworths and the like. Their market is overseas which provides them with financial security.

I work in the seafood industry and our imported fish,octupus,squid makes up for about 70% of all our sales.Pretty sad hey!!! :thumbdown: The simple fact is that our fisheries do not hold enough stocks to make it sustainable.Even our bream and barra are imported.The exotic stuff goes overseas because they pay top dollars for that shit.What I think would be a good idea is to set up alot more fish farms here in oz to supply the local market.

By the way if any of you guys saw the special on sixty minutes about the basa in Vietnam ,don't beleive everything they showed you.The pictures were REDICULOUS. like they go around scooping dead fish out of sewage infested waters.We have booklets to hand out to customers and it shows spotless facilities were it all goes by the book,anyway QUARINTINE inspects it all when it comes in so those fish floating in turds would not get through anyway.Don't get me wrong,I HATE whats going on in the industry but what do you do???????? Any way my head hurts now, time for :beersmile: