Fishfinder Custom Beach Rod

Sammy0884

post-1587-1175475602_thumb.jpgHey Guys,

The blank arrived last week and the build has already started.

Here are some pics of the blank butted up with the reel seat, and a day later with some threadwork and underbinds. More Pics to come when the guides are bound on and epoxying begins.

beachrodunbound.jpg

beachrodreelseat.jpg

Beachrodbutt.jpg

beachrodthreadwork.jpg

beachrodbindings.jpg

beachrodunderbinds2.jpg

beachrodunderbinds.jpg

Edited by Sammy0884

Good stuff Sammy,

Looks like it will be ready for you to give it a good test run before the Entrance Social.

Then maybe a 10-15kg jew on the new rod at the social to take out the prize.

What line weight and length is it? what reel are you going to match it up with??

Good stuff Sammy,

Looks like it will be ready for you to give it a good test run before the Entrance Social.

Then maybe a 10-15kg jew on the new rod at the social to take out the prize.

What line weight and length is it? what reel are you going to match it up with??

Thats the idea Brett!

I was going to go with my 4500 Baitrunner spooled with 20lb Fins braid, i know i would get a better cast with something bigger, like a big spheros or 6500 baitrunner , or even a Thunnus... but the 4500 will do just fine for the moment...

Thats the idea Brett!

I was going to go with my 4500 Baitrunner spooled with 20lb Fins braid, i know i would get a better cast with something bigger, like a big spheros or 6500 baitrunner , or even a Thunnus... but the 4500 will do just fine for the moment...

dont drop a baitrunner in the sand though mate!

Hey Sammy - looks like a trusty weapon to me!

I've never thought of custom ordering a beach rod but will have to have a chat to Tony next time I'm in to discuss feasability.

I reckon the 4500 should be fine, and despite widely held beliefs to the contrary the baitrunners are actually quite resistant to sand. I've been using a 6500 as my jew reel for the past few years and have dropped it in the sand/dunked it in the waves/had it buried by a strong southerly several times and it still works as good as the day I bought it. Just a rinse in the fresh at the end of the session and I haven't had any worries yet.

Having said that it'll probably seize up one day - but then that's what servicing is for.

Out of interest, do you know what blank the rod is built on? Also - have you considered adding a sand spike to the bottom?

Hey Sammy - looks like a trusty weapon to me!

I've never thought of custom ordering a beach rod but will have to have a chat to Tony next time I'm in to discuss feasability.

I reckon the 4500 should be fine, and despite widely held beliefs to the contrary the baitrunners are actually quite resistant to sand. I've been using a 6500 as my jew reel for the past few years and have dropped it in the sand/dunked it in the waves/had it buried by a strong southerly several times and it still works as good as the day I bought it. Just a rinse in the fresh at the end of the session and I haven't had any worries yet.

Having said that it'll probably seize up one day - but then that's what servicing is for.

Out of interest, do you know what blank the rod is built on? Also - have you considered adding a sand spike to the bottom?

Hey Mondo,

thanks for the props on the Baitrunner, it will do the job the half dozen or more times i go beach fishing each year...

The Blank is a Pacific Composites MT6144-2 with a reinforced ferrule.

Also, i went for the butt cap as i prefer to use the trusty old PVC pipe in the sand.

Edited by Sammy0884

Hey Guys,

Just a little update, Tony gave me a ring Monday afternoon to let me know how things were progressing on the rod and that i would be able to collect it this coming week, so i dropped past Fishfinder today and had a quick peek at the progress... unfortunately i forgot the camera, but it is looking absolutley shit hot!! a full set of stainless frame guides and some sleek black overbinds.... the epoxy wasn't quite dry yet so i will drop by in the next day or so and grab some pictures of the finished product.

Woooo!

cheers fellas..

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Just a little update, Tony gave me a ring Monday afternoon to let me know how things were progressing on the rod and that i would be able to collect it this coming week, so i dropped past Fishfinder today and had a quick peek at the progress... unfortunately i forgot the camera, but it is looking absolutley shit hot!! a full set of stainless frame guides and some sleek black overbinds.... the epoxy wasn't quite dry yet so i will drop by in the next day or so and grab some pictures of the finished product.

Woooo!

cheers fellas..

Sammy,

I have been waiting by this message for 14 days to see the updated pictures.... don't know how much longer I can stare at this thread..... :wacko:

Cheers

Ceph.

Sammy,

I have been waiting by this message for 14 days to see the updated pictures.... don't know how much longer I can stare at this thread..... :wacko:

Cheers

Ceph.

Hi Ceph,

Sorry for the delay, i have been running around like a blue assed fly for the entrance social, but wait no longer

beachrod005.jpg

beachrod004.jpg

beachrod003.jpg

beachrod002.jpg

beachrod001.jpg

Sammy

Bloody nice rod. Threadwork and finish looks fantastic. Obviously, it works a treat.

I am rebuilding an old Ugly Stik and a new Loomis ultra light spin stick. Will post photos as the builds progress.

Thanks for the post. Always nice to see a quality custom made rod. Can you ask Tony where he got his decals done? PM me with the details if he is forthcoming.

Cheers.

Ceph...... d.

Edited by Ceph

Well well well, finally a free minute to give a blurb on the performance of my latest toy......

I took the rod up to the Entrance social as many of the attendees would have seen me practice casting into the lake! :1prop:

My first crack off the beach was the friday afternoon, i spooled up my spheros with a fresh 300m of 30lb fins braid and some 40lb Penn 10X leader. The rig was a marble sized running down to a sampo ball bearing swivel and a 30cm trace with some mustad 4202G 4/0 gangs. Pillies were the bait of choice....

The rod cast beautifully after some fine tuning, i found the 'round the corner' action most effective, basically hang the rod horizontally in the opposite direction to the intended cast and sweep it around and over the right shoulder.. the rod loaded up beautifully and would gently sling the bait a mile without ripping the pillie off.

The first impression of the rod on a fish was interesting, the soft glass tip was able to distinguish between the wave motions and the nibbles of the salmon, even with braid the fish were not able to detect the fisherman on the other end of the line, but i knew exactly what was going on. Seeing the tap tap tap, i gave a light lift and saw the belly come out of the line, i struck hard and came up tight, the drag started singing and the rod was working a treat with a great big bend keeping the pressure on.... The rod performed brilliantly, it had enough balls to put some real hurt on fish up to 3.5kg, i think it would be a weapon on some average sized jewies or school sharks, however the lightness of the tip section would still make it an excellent rod for bream, whiting and flatties with some lighter line going through it.....

Hey Sammy

You had me going there for a while, too!! I thought it was all your own handywork & was mightily impressed!! Tony has done a terrific job on the rod & the rod did a terrific job on the sambos!!

Well done on a great session off the beach! It would even do serious damage to some jewies off the Forster Breakwall in June, as well ..... 'speciallly with a whole worm on!! Get into them!

Cheers

Roberta