Hawks Nest!

lurespinner

hey guys

going up there for the 1st week :thumbup:

really like it up there, nice and peacefull and great waterways! :yahoo:

i dont really know any reliable spots though...

but this time i have my p's and we are bringing 2 cars up, so a bit more scope for spots is possible

anyway

im looking to catch some squid which i am planning on livebaiting or stripping anywhere where i can get kings/jews

and also spinning from the beach or rocks for tailor, salmon, bonnies, frigate, wateva :biggrin2:

anybody know any decent squidding spots, kingie spots or spinning spots?

i was thinking squiding near the mouth of the myall river and spinning along jimmys beach and livebaiting from the rocks on the headland.

i would prefer to stay on the hawks nest/tea gardens side of the bay but if i must, i will travel

anybody with any help to share would be a great help :thumbup:

thx, Tom

Erm.. well you can definitely get into some good calamari & Kings in PS, but the Myall & lakes is better known for the more traditional estuary species.

Your best bet for squid on the northern shores is Barnes Rocks. fairly reliable in a N-NE but exposed in any southerly. the wall at the end of Jimmys to the back of Yacaaba is good too. I personally get my squid from Fingal bay or Boulder bay weather permitting, very reliable. Average size is big. Top jew spots are the singing bridge & the boat ramp. The 'neverfail' productive spot is the Corrie shortcut (between Winda Woppa & Corrie island). bit of a hike from Winda Woppa. any of the groynes leading into deeper water also produce. LBG target at the mo is Longtail tuna.

That should get you started:)

cfd im lb :(

thanks heaps dropshot!! :thumbup:

now at least i got some idea

i asked at the shop last time but it wasnt too helpfull

my tacklo said theres a tackle store in tea gardens? the only fishing type shop i know is the sport store at hawks nest...

also is there anywhere from the northern side i can go lbg?

thx again, Tom

I expect you'd have a good shot from Yacaaba, tho Tomaree has the killer rep. Failing that you're up for a drive to Seal Rocks. Watched a school of longtail boil up in Fingal today, they're so fast the seagulls couldn't keep up. They show up anywhere anytime no warning. You can fish light (6-8kg) they fight in open water in wide arcs. Slimies are the 'go to' bait.

As for tackle stores around here, they all tell you the same thing - literally, like it's rehearsed :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hawks Nest is my favourite holiday destination. We've caught many a decent sized fish off the beach such as pictured below. If you can 4WD up to Dark Point (Sandy) and/or aim for the gutters as you head up there, you're bound to catch something. If the salmon are on it's brilliant to watch the dark shadows being chased by the dolphins / and possibly sharks - just cast a lure and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised. Cheers Marg :1fishing1: