Tiger Shark

Martin

Posted this picture earlier in the week but in the wrong forum, had a few problems (general pictures). Today’s forum on marathon or brawl made me think, (which I’ve commented on) related to this fish. If you want to brawl then there’s two fish to do it with, a big tiger or a big mako, both of which can inflict some brutal damage to crew and boat.

This tiger went 348 kg on 15 kg, but for some reason it just never gave up and is still the most memorable capture despite having caught or been part of bigger in both mako and tigers. She destroyed our marlin board, bent one of our gaffs, gouged the hell out of the gelcoat on one side, near broke the arm of one of the crew who gaffed and dragged the trace man on his knees across the deck. If there is an evil fish this was one of them.

I love fishing be it catching bait, flathead or trout, but to see a big shark or to hang onto the wire trace, will always get your blood pumping.

Martin thats one hellofa shark ! :1yikes: Impressive as it is, I hate seeing such incredible and amazing creatures hanging from a gantry :(

Not having a go at you mate but my personal opinion is sharks like that need to swim free. :D

Martin thats one hellofa shark ! :1yikes: Impressive as it is, I hate seeing such incredible and amazing creatures hanging from a gantry :(

Not having a go at you mate but my personal opinion is sharks like that need to swim free. :D

19133[/snapback]

No offence taken. I agree and a lot has changed over the last 20 years.

how long did it take to land

Thats one awsome creature!!!

19305[/snapback]

It took 3 hours and 10 minutes, not my longest but the pressure was on. We were fishing Port Stephens and a local boat called Helena was right on our arse points wise.

Became champion angler at the Inter Club that year and most meritorious capture in Broken Bay GFC.

Our boat also got champion boat with the addition of another 2 tigers, 256 Kg and 182 kg plus two black marlin over three days as day one was called due to bad weather. It was a fantastic experience to win that competition. We also took out champion team, champion club and ladies day which runs midweek.

It was only the second year that the technique was worked out to take the big tigers on the smaller line classes. Prior to that fish of that size were deemed impossible on 15 Kg. Broken Bay GFC did much in pioneering the big tiger captures in both big and small boats as well as the Blue Marlin being discovered some years later.

Longest fight is around the 11-hour mark on 15kg, never sighted the fish; generally in such cases you can expect it to be foul hooked.

No offence taken. I agree and a lot has changed over the last 20 years.

19256[/snapback]

Cheers mate :1prop:

When was this beast taken ?

19350[/snapback]

I,m embrassed to say, it was back in 1982 yet it only seems afew years ago, I don't think some fishraider members were even born then