Ham, Brawn And Bravery Save Yachties

mrmoshe

Ham, brawn and bravery save yachties

A radio ham on a mountain and three courageous water police saved two sailors stranded in wild seas off Newcastle.

The operation took 19 hours in five-metre high seas and strong winds after the propeller shaft of Bob Wilson's 14-metre ketch, Manunda - sailing from Queensland to Sydney - broke off and jammed against the rudder, leaving the vessel stranded nearly 200 kilometres off the coast.

Harold Ralston, 62, from Comboyne, was in his shed about 6.30am on Friday when his 25-year-old radio, which he bought for $50 on eBay a year ago, crackled with a plea from Mr Wilson.

"I heard the boat calling for Foster Tuncurry Coastal Patrol, or anyone who could hear him, and he couldn't get a response," Mr Ralston told smh.com.au today.

He said he probably picked up the signal because he's 600 metres above sea level, whereas coastal patrols are at sea level.

"When I responded to him, I took his particulars and at that time he was still trying to fix the problem.

"I said, I'll come back every hour and call you to make sure you are OK."

After eight hours, Mr Wilson and his crew mate, Mike Ross, asked Mr Ralston to call rescuers.

Senior Constable Gavin Herbert and two crew from the Newcastle Water Police set out in the 17-metre police launch Intrepid just after 2pm for the gruelling voyage out to the stricken yacht.

"In layman's terms, [it was] horrible," Mr Herbert said. "We had up to five-metre seas, 30-plus-knot southerly winds and at times torrential rain. We were beam on the whole 100 miles out, which means being hit from the side by the swell. [it was] uncomfortable.

"I have seen worse, but we were put on an angle of greater than 30 to 35 degrees on three occasions."

"We reached the boat about 10pm. It was pitch black and it was howling [but] the rain had stopped."

As the Manunda and the Intrepid seesawed on the heavy swells, a rope was tied between the two vessels and the Intrepid began towing the Manunda towards Port Macquarie.

The tow rope broke at least six times, forcing the two crews to repeatedly undertake the difficult and dangerous reconnection process throughout the night.

It was not until about 9am that the Manunda finally docked in Port Macquarie.

"It was very frustrating, very exhausting, but it's what you expect when you're in the Water Police," Mr Herbert said.

Mr Wilson, an experienced mariner who has sailed one and a half times around the world, told smh.com.au he would be recommending the Water Police crew for bravery awards.

He also wants to thank Mr Ralston for his efforts.

"I've got to meet this man, mate. Sitting up on the mountain with the best radio signal on the coast ... I'm going to shake his hand very solidly."

Had it not been for Mr Ralston's keen ears, Mr Wilson and Mr Ross could still be drifting helplessly in the Pacific, he said.

"The ultimate situation [was] we had enough water for 140 days, enough food for about 60. We would be a lot slimmer I suppose and we would probably have washed up on NZ."

post-1685-1176098675_thumb.jpg

Bob Wilson and Mike Ross at Port Marina.