Extreme Downsizing

wrasseman

Hi all,

I bought one of those little penrods (3ft telesopic that folds up to a pen) you see on ebay a couple of weeks ago for a bit of a novelty and of course I had to give it a whirl. Spooled it up with some light mono and hit the river with a 2g spoon hoping for a little reddie or three. Initially I was pleasantly surprised by how well it casts and it wasn't long before a fish came along to test it out. On about my third cast a lovely 50cm brownie grabbed my lure and proceeded to demonstrate the many lumps in the drag and just how little power the rod has in reserve but jeez it was fun and I somehow still landed it. Unfortunately I didn't have the camera with me though so I've had to go out a few more times to try and get some piccys. Of course I haven't managed any more decent fish (the next good one came off due to an excessively light drag I was using to combat the stickiness) but even the littlies are fun on the micro outfit and 2&3g lures and I've now fixed the drag by honing the metal washers and replacing the fibre ones with oil soaked leather.

penreddie1_211.jpg

pentrout6april07-1_111.jpg

gotme9april07-2s_179.jpg

post-1831-1176116907_thumb.jpg

:074: That's awesome, Col! :thumbup::yahoo: I've been toying with the idea of getting one of those penrods for a while... That's hilarious! Well done - takes some angling skill to get them in on such light gear!

Flattieman.

Do it, well worthwhile I reckon. Great fun even on the littlies, I certainly can't can't complain after a total outlay including postage of less than $20 and the drag upgrade took about 5min and cost nothing. I'm not convinced about the baitcasters and flyreels though. I don't think either would be castable as the tiny spool on the baitcaster would need to spin extremely fast and I doubt the rod could cast a fly, I know I couldn't flycast with it.

Col.

Edited by wrasseman