Tilt & Trim - Oil Leak

majed1965

Hi,

Just noticed today the tilt / trim on my Evinrude 1977 70HP is leaking oil from the port side hydraulic cyclinder.

I have had a closer look at it and found there is a whole around 3/4 of the way down the cylinder where a bolt possibly was. When you tilt the outboard the oil gushes out of it. I noticed there is some sort of electrical connector which maybe part of some trim gauge on dashboards, which my boat doesn't have fitted.

I have tried numorous bolts to block the whole but they dont work. The whole seems to have plastic piece around the inside of the opening which is probably part of what was there b4 i noticed the leak.

Does anyone know what i can do to either remove the plastic insert and what i can use to block the whole?

Thanks.

Majed.

post-1461-1176429560_thumb.jpg

This looks more the hole for the oil to flow into and out of the cylinder. Where is the fitting for the oil line connection. The fittings are hard to get at to get on or off. YOu will need to get a ring spanner the size of the fitting and cut a slot out of the top to allow you to put the spanner over the copper oil pipe.

Cheers

Kingpig

This looks more the hole for the oil to flow into and out of the cylinder. Where is the fitting for the oil line connection. The fittings are hard to get at to get on or off. YOu will need to get a ring spanner the size of the fitting and cut a slot out of the top to allow you to put the spanner over the copper oil pipe.

Cheers

Kingpig

Gaff tape would probably make a quick fix, however you will have to end up taking the pump out and fixing it on a bench.I would see if I could get the original part from the wreckers, but have you thought of a 5 or 10 cent piece belted with a hammer to put a slight curve on it and araldite it into place. Don't laugh, It is amazing how good that stuff works.Besides, its not a severe wear area. You could smear some sikaflex over it once it has dried.That will probably last the life of the engine! (Make sure the area is clean before gluing.

Check your oil level too!

Cheers

Cheers

Kingpig

Cheers

Kingpig

Good call didn't think of that! The engine wouldn't trim if it was seperated though??

hey Majed,

Is the oil leaking from the same place as mine is ??? when you were over you said something about it leaking ???

No, yours was leaking from the o ring. This is the other side which i noticed 2 days ago.

Oil leak fixed.

My cousin who is a motor mechanic dropped by this afternoon and had a look at the leakage.

He found the tilt gauge sensor which bolts into the cylinder was broken (it is a plastic thread type bolt).

As i don't have a tilt gauge on my dashboard, we decided to block the hole with another bolt which was modified to fit.

(was quoted today $52 for a replacement one, which i dont need anyway)

Topped up with hydraulic oil and tested a number of times up and down and thankfully no more leaks.

Thank you to all for your assistance.

Majed.