Hawkesbury

MGibbo

Headed out to Berowra Waters Saturday arvo to camp - met fellow Fishraider KW367 (Ken) and his first mate (PJ) at the ramp - it was a pleasure to meet you both - no doubt we will see you more often.

Now it doesn't get much better than this ... campsite with your boat tied up at the door enabling you to enjoy a roaring fire for a cold night riverside but allow you to be ready for the changing tides. The early morning mist was amazing (dido KW - Smoke On The Water/Deep Purple). OK it could have been brilliant if I'd found some decent fish in the Estuary but unfortunately it just wasn't meant to be.

Headed out for the Saturday evening high tide then again for the early Sunday morning hide tide - drifted with many other boats (as my family continued to sleep in the tent) but nothing. Decided to try for the change of low tide later Sunday morning around Bar Point, but this time including company with friends that had joined us for the night (sorry Mr & Mrs Stumpy you couldn't make it). With the run out moving pretty fast I had quite a lot of line out, I suddenly felt a heavy weight on my line that wasn't giving any resistance and decided that I'd been snagged but found it was slowing allowing me to bring it to the top, however, just before I got it to the top I felt the so called debris start to fight and thrash about and SNAP the monster bit the hook from my line :ranting2: . I hate that :wife: not knowing what it was - at first I'd thought it was one of those anchor fish that Quinfish caught recently as it was such a dead weight, however, I now know that it was something pretty good - as I didn't have a tracer on, I'm convinced it must have been a bloody big flathead.

Now just after the above happened, my friend's son reeled in a legal bream to his delight - isn't it wonderful how a little fish can bring so much joy! :biggrin2: Anyway I've got to mention that as Daniel was reeling in his fish - a couple of hire boats which arrived together anchored right on top of us, they were seriously close enough to touch or drift into immediately - they couldn't even wait for the kid to see what was on his line, so we all had to wind in and move before we hit them. $?@# heads!

Love to know if anyone had success on the Hawkesbury this weekend and if so what bait and where?

P.S. Low tide Sunday arvo seemed huge not unlike a king tide, so beware of the little beaches near Bar Point - it's a muddy pit where you could easily be marooned.

Cheers Marg

Hi Marg

that sounds like a flatty to me as well

owell look on the brit side better times ahead :thumbup:

I will be at juno this arvo after i get some live bait from west head

:beersmile: robert :thumbup::thumbup:

Hi Robert - unfortunately someone stole our winch handle Saturday night from Berowra Waters, which we discovered yesterday arvo when we returned to the boat ramp :ranting2: . Some nice guy loaned us his and even helped wind it in (thank you to whoever you are:thumbup: MUCH APPRECIATED). Got to try and pick up another one real soon so I can hit the water. Our boats a bit of a mess at the moment due to excessive sticky mud thanks to low tide and kids! Hope to have it all cleaned up and with a new winch handle by the end of the week.

On another matter, did anyone hear about a mugging at Mooney Mooney which involved 2 young guys having their fishing gear stolen as they fished from the shore at the Mooney Mooney ramp Brooklyn during the week? :1yikes: This must be why we saw the boys in blue doing sweeps of the carpark last Wednesday night - glad our night stayed uneventful considering it was just myself and two 11 year olds.

Cheers Marg

Another great report from MGibbo!!

Man you really love your fishing, and it shows in your reports. Sounds like it wasn't exactly a gangbusters weekend on the fishing front, but a hell of a lot of fun nonetheless. Good on Daniel for scoring that nice bream.

I'd have to agree with you and quinfish that the bust off was most likely a big flattie.

There are king tides at the moment BTW - so your warning about the river at low tide is well timed.

Another great report from MGibbo!!

Man you really love your fishing, and it shows in your reports. Sounds like it wasn't exactly a gangbusters weekend on the fishing front, but a hell of a lot of fun nonetheless. Good on Daniel for scoring that nice bream.

I'd have to agree with you and quinfish that the bust off was most likely a big flattie.

There are king tides at the moment BTW - so your warning about the river at low tide is well timed.

Thanks Mondo - I do worry I overkill sometimes re: posts but I'm absolutely addicted to fishing and love this website. I've now met quite a lot of people that share this same passion which is reassuring. Bummer I didn't land my mystery catch because it would have been a beauty. Cheers Marg

Hey Marg,

Sounds like an awsome couple of days.

Just curious where did you make camp?

Thanks,

Vic

Hey Vic

In answer to your question: Bar Point .... but beware the beach is a bit of a trap at low tide as you can stand in the middle of the river and there is also a bit of a blubber epidemic where Berowra Waters meets the Hawkesbury. Depending on the size of your boat, keep an eye on the tide otherwise you'll get ship wrecked.

This beach is very popular with campers/day trippers/water skiers/goannas, so it's hit or miss to secure a possie, also please note that there are no loos or showers! As I always say "You never know unless you try!".

Hope this helps....Marg

Great report & pics once again Marg, and it was great meeting you too! Quick question, how do you do the collatey thingy with your photos?

Via Microsoft Powerpoint - just insert each photo by reducing them with the mouse on the corner of the photo and put them into place - thought I'd post this just in case anyone else was interested in knowing how. Don't forget to save it as a JPeg file then resize for posting on Raiders. Send me a PM if you need any help. P.S. Love the jokes - takes me a bit, but I eventually get them. :074: Cheers Marg

Gibbo,

Not that i'm jealous that whilst you were camping in heaven; I was at Quakers Hill riding Thomas the flamin Tank Engine with a bunch off snotty nosed children.

But............ face it Marg, you hooked up a car tyre and it snapped you off.Stop dribbling over some mysterious flattie and face the truth: No! you can't handle the truth! (Tom Cruise said that)

Anyway..................... Get over it!

Love

Stumpy

Theft is a "HUGE" and ongoing problem at the Berowra Waters ramp car park. I lost a bloody good and very expensive set of driving lights from there, a few years back and know of others who have lost the odd bits and pieces over the years, from the car park there. In all the years Ive been launching from there, if my feable memory serves me correctly, I have never seen a police presence???? Maybe Castle Hill police station is just to far away for them to travel to the ramp, for a look see every now and again?

Hi all,

Fished the river last Wednesday with #2 son. Picked up a nice flounder and flatty plus 3 squid drifting the shoreline East of Patonga. Also picked up 2 nice bream in the channel behind Dangar island. Mostly taken on the incoming tide.

Cheers Jed.

RE: Stumpy - Thomas the flamin Tank Engine (hehehehehe). P.S. Rubber tyres don't thrash about in the water! :biggrin2:

RE: Jed38 - Thanks for the Hawkesbury update - always good to hear and confirm that others are having luck.

RE: Macca172 - Thanks for that. I actually live in Berowra and we unfortunately haven't had police here for many years. It used to be one of the safest suburbs in Sydney with very low crime, however, I think the carparks at the station and boat ramp have always been a concern. :mad3:

TOP FISHRAIDER - QUINFISH :thumbup:

Now on a good note - I got a PM from Quinfish that he had a spare winch handle if I wanted it, so I met him this afternoon along with fellow Raider 1975 down at Apple Tree Bay - they were off to do some squiding in preparation for tomorrow (lucky fishos). They both seemed to be great guys and I want to send Quinfish (alias Robert) a huge THANK YOU. Hope to see you on the water real soon thanks to the replacement winch handle. The world really isn't so bad thanks to people like you.

Kind regards

Marg

Edited by MGibbo

Nice going Quinfish, Just remember "Give her a winch and she'll take a mile! :074::074::074: "

For all those that did not get that joke.......... ring your parents!

Don't leave this site Quinfish, Its people like you that confirm our faith in talking to strangers about the best subject in the World............Fishing :thumbup::thumbup: