Novice Boater Needs Advice

TXL

Hi guys, i am new to this great site and was hoping to pick a few seasoned fishos brains. i have recently purchased a 4.3 metre forward steer runabout with 40 hp mercury which i am very happy with. however when i have ventured into rougher water any where past middle head in sydney harbour i have felt very uncomfortable would this area be considored safe in reasonable conditions or am i being a big pansy. i would be interested to know if fellow fishos use a similar sized boat and how they go fishing near the heads and also running the gauntlet under the harbour bridge. what sea conditions are to be avoided ?

If you dont feel comfortable head into some of the sheltered bays until you become more confident in how to handle these conditons.

If in doubt ,dont go out

:dito:

That is probably going to be the best advice that you are going to get TXL.

by far the best advice(swordfisherman) i got a 375 quinnie iv had it for 3 years now and know wat it can handle i have been as far as the heads in it but its gotta be a good day or its parra 4 me your better of having a good day on the river than a bad day on the harbour till you get use to it

cheers mick

Hi

Just remember that it is better to be SAFE in smoother water wondering what the fishing is like outside, rather than BE outside wondering how you are going to get back in alive! Play it safe, you can also take an experienced person with you, if you need a confidence booster...

Geoff

What Stewy said!!

Being new to boating can be daunting, it is as much about the skippers skills as the boat. Just take your time and enjoy the expereince, you will get to know the limits of your vessel and your self quite quickly.

Play it on the safe side.

Cheers.

Robbie.

Guest Reely

Matey another tip, the entrance to Sydney HArbour or any harbour for that matter, is like a big bar. That area you were uncomfortable in was prolly choppy becasue of this and it prolly was a going out tide which is the worst for places like this. If the forecast is good, just motor thru it by trimming the engine down, and then once you get past the heads it gets calmer, for example Broken Bay is rough for 5 miles until you past this its messy, once past it it flattens out a bit. You should not be worried, your boat is fine in size, i used to go out there in a 2.7m Inflatable back in the days.

I have a 4.3 M boat , and certain places in the Harbour you will experience either turbulent water ( under the Harbour bridge for example) or largish swells ( towards the heads). It seems that early in the morning the water tends to be smoother , and gets progressively rougher as the day wears on.

As a simple rule of thumb , if you dont feel comfortable after 2 minutes , chances are that it will not get better , turn around and head for smoother water. The more you use your boat , the more familiar you will become with what it can and cant handle , what may seem daunting now , could well be quite acceptable for you in 6 months time. But please , always err on the side of caution!!!

Ross

Hi

We have a 4.8 boat and it gets 'hairy' in that sometimes.

Don't every consider yourself as being a 'pansy'. KEEP SAFE at all times.

The post above are great advice these guys know what they are talking about.

Good luck for the future hope you catch plenty.

Enjoy :1fishing1: