Fly Fishing For Stream Bass

Bream Mad

Do any of you guys fly fish for native Bass?

Seems like a very viable method of capture specially using surface flies.

Had my first BASS ON FLY session on tuesday and they just nailed my foam hopper imitation He, He :thumbup: all on my trusty 3wt great fun on a 30cm Bass :yahoo:

What flies do you guys use, interestingly the bass in my local were rising to a hatch of small insects (possibly caddis) so i tried all my #14 trout flies, but it was not until i banged down a hopper, that they took an interest.

BM

Do any of you guys fly fish for native Bass?

Seems like a very viable method of capture specially using surface flies.

Had my first BASS ON FLY session on tuesday and they just nailed my foam hopper imitation He, He :thumbup: all on my trusty 3wt great fun on a 30cm Bass :yahoo:

What flies do you guys use, interestingly the bass in my local were rising to a hatch of small insects (possibly caddis) so i tried all my #14 trout flies, but it was not until i banged down a hopper, that they took an interest.

BM

Hi Bream Mad,

What you thought were bass taking hatching caddis were probably not bass, but more likely freshwater herring or grayling.

Go big for bass. Most trout size flies tied to imitate may flies, caddis flies and midges are too small to interest bass on a regular basis, which are looking for beetle, grass hopper, cricket and cicada sized food items. So you need something that will make a good "plop" on splash down, and then plenty of noise and bubbles during the retrieve.

A 7 weight to 9 weight fly outfit is more suitable for casting the larger and heavier bugs and poppers.

I'm a fan of the Dalberg diver and deer hair popper, but various poppers and bloopers tied with foam or cork also work well, provided they are tied on the correct hooks.

"Stinger" style wide-gape hooks are good -- in sizes 10 to 6.

It's also a good idea to tie in hard mono weed guards: makes the flies pretty much snag proof, so you're able to cast them right into the fish-holding cover.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare