Jewie Smell

humesy

I've just had 2 weeks off and spent a solid 7 consecutive nights chasing jewies in Middle harbour, the hawkesbury and mainly the northern beaches. obsessive??? you bet. on the 6th or 7th night, (they all started to blur), I started to question my grip on reality. The reason, I could swear I smelled jewie somewhere, while standing on the beach. I had dropped a jew about an hour previously and my big tailor fillet came back intact and with that distinctive smell. I started reasoning that the smell had stayed on my hands but that wasn't it. The scent was wafting around every now and then on a perfectly still night.

Understand, this was the equivalent of a man dieing of thirst in the desert seeing a mirage of cool, quenching water. "You need help, badly" I told myself and that was the last I thought about it until seeing McGill's latest DVD and wouldn't you know it, he brings up the exact phenomenon in an interview with a marine biologist. The theory being (another one I know), that the jewie emits its smell to bring up the worms. The expert says unlikely but not impossible but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Cheers

Mate you're not going mad. I have smelt them on a few occasions, mainly of the beach on nights like you described. I think it would mean there are alot of schoolies around & they are up & feeding. We have got a few small to average fish on those nights & plenty of runs. I would say of all the nights I've spent fishing for them it has happened 4 to 5 times. It is very distinctive & once you know the smell of a Jew you can't mistake it.

I have also known of the theory of Jew rubbing there bellies over shallow sand to bring beach worms up for quite a few years. It wouldn't suprise me at all. They would be nowhere quick enough to nail the worms when they come up but more than likely would be waiting for some heavy wave action to wash a few worms out for them.

There has to be some reason to why they stink so much. Bloody hell I love that smell!!! :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

i have smelt it also, when river fishing

my mate and i have made the comment a couple of times, and though we were both nuts!

does this mean we am now a jew diciples

Nah mate, just means you're crackers like the rest of us!! :074::074:

Cheers,

Grant.

Nah mate, just means you're crackers like the rest of us!! :074::074:

Cheers,

Grant.

my wife sure thinks im crazy, with the many hours work with not much to show for it, and the sleepless nights in the wind and rain

and im off tomorrow night to do it again, mmm looks cold wet and shitty peeeerfect

my wife sure thinks im crazy, with the many hours work with not much to show for it, and the sleepless nights in the wind and rain

and im off tomorrow night to do it again, mmm looks cold wet and shitty peeeerfect

:Funny-Post::074:

Seriously though, I know a top spot in a southerly.It's got a hidey cave as well.

P.M me if you want it.

Cheers,

Grant.

Mate you're not going mad. I have smelt them on a few occasions, mainly of the beach on nights like you described. I think it would mean there are alot of schoolies around & they are up & feeding.

Cheers,

Grant.

Great to know. I will cancel my session on the couch talking to the guy in the white coat.

If there a lot of small jew around you can smell them. This has happened to me 4 times. Twice at a place called Smiths Beach about half way between Manning Piont and Old Bar. Once on Stockton Beach and once on South Beach at Ballina.

On all these occasions I caught lots of fish from 30cm to 70cm but no bigger ones.

The bigger ones tend to hang in pairs on the beach from my experience.

Cheers

Kingpig

Andrew,

Mate they can be an obsession and yes as your friend you need help.

That help is me as your fishing buddy. And i love your theory. The smell of jewie is unique and so strong it actually puts my wife off eating them. As you know from my frantic phone call on sunday i was smelling like a jewie for the rest of the day. He tasted great and went down well.

Cheers mate.

G`day Fellas ,

At times , the smell is so stong coming off the Water it almost becomes nauseating .

I notice it mostly when you feel the Pressure starts building .

Now let me state For the Record , I Love That Fish , But by God I hate that Bloody Smell.

Mick

PS , expect some Jewie Pics In The Next Few Days !.

Edited by OWZAT

I've just had 2 weeks off and spent a solid 7 consecutive nights chasing jewies in Middle harbour, the hawkesbury and mainly the northern beaches. obsessive??? you bet. on the 6th or 7th night, (they all started to blur), I started to question my grip on reality. The reason, I could swear I smelled jewie somewhere, while standing on the beach. I had dropped a jew about an hour previously and my big tailor fillet came back intact and with that distinctive smell. I started reasoning that the smell had stayed on my hands but that wasn't it. The scent was wafting around every now and then on a perfectly still night.

Understand, this was the equivalent of a man dieing of thirst in the desert seeing a mirage of cool, quenching water. "You need help, badly" I told myself and that was the last I thought about it until seeing McGill's latest DVD and wouldn't you know it, he brings up the exact phenomenon in an interview with a marine biologist. The theory being (another one I know), that the jewie emits its smell to bring up the worms. The expert says unlikely but not impossible but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Cheers

My mates and I used to often smell that Jewie smell when fishing Pearl Beach and Flathead Beach at the mouth of the Hawkesbury River. It is unmistakeable, so no you are not crazy.