Outside Sydney On The Weekend!

sanger

Hey guys this is my first report so i hope its up to scratch.

Out on a mates boat saturday morning through the heads about 630, Should have droped the lures straight away as we missed about three bait balls within about 1km of the heads :1badmood:

Trolled a spread of 6 lures 5 skirts and one rapala 15ft xrap (diving that is not a 15ft lure!) in red and white.

Headed out past a few guys flicking plastics at the deewhy fad then made a beeline straight for the shelf, got onto about 11 stripies through out the day about one or two every hour and boated 9, no marlin though. on the way back in we went to the peak and saw plenty on the sounder so stopped for a jig! leather jackets everywhere took three 9 inch long wave worm soft plastics in three casts $$$$, Then threw a sacrafice stick down for a king and hooked a leathery about half the size of the jig.... and that was just me, the other boys on the boat had thrown down patenosters made from 100lb leader and been bitten off, then went on to put down wire patenosters for the same result!!!! damn those leathery's. Trolled back in and picked up a small bonnie on the way.... Damn nice day on the water for my first trip out to the shelf.... After getting a few fish im sure there will be other trips in the near future.... minus the lesther jackets though!!!!

post-4037-1177377944_thumb.jpg

Edited by fishlexic

Guest Big-Banana

With the leatheries, don't be touching bait and then touching the line. I used to get a lot of bite offs by doing that. Whenever you're going to be touching your main line, wash your hands. Saves the frustration :biggrin2:

nice report.. mustve had a ball with the stripeys..

this should help u with resizing pix.. here

u can also open the pix in paint>image>stretch/skew and change it to about 20-30%

cheers

Davy

yeah was my first time catching stripey's .... while the aint no marlin they certainly are alot of fun!!! Thanks for the picuters help to guys i think they were a tiny bit to large!!!

:1prop:

Well done on the Stripies. Wasn't the water great on the weekend.

Leather Jackets you say.

I took a mate out on Sunday and the water was slick for hours. Tried East reef for rubbish then decided to head out to the nearest Coal Ship (not quite right on it but pretty close) in 50 metres of purple 22 C water and it was 3 jackets and lots of lost gear within 10 minutes or so. If there was anything else down there they didn't have a chance. The jackets were picking up the bait about 5 meters up from the bottom on the way down. Packed up and moved to Boultons Reef and pulled up with the other 5 boats already there to find Yakkas, Yakkas and more Yakkas. Saw one guy boat a decent size Cuttlefish.

Time was getting away so we went back out to 50 metres at no particular spot and swapped over to handlines for Jackets to at least get a feed and didn't have to try too hard to get another 15. All up 18 jackets to feed 2 families, which was plenty as they weren't a bad size.

Due to all the recent posts about the FADS being missing I didn't bother to waste the fuel. Shame though because the water was amazingly flat and smooth. Did any one go the the Sydney North (Broken Bay) FAD over the weekend and actually find it?

Got home just as the rain started.

Yeah livo, I was out on sun at boultons early for my brother to score a nice mowie of

about 40cm . Didnt run into to many yakkas.The week before scored a nice flatty,tailor

and a large leathjacket.Then we headed ne to 60m and 23' and the water was blue for

a few more drifts for no return then came back in .hopefully the onset of Spring will bring a red

or 2. The on water conditions could not have been better.How many Haines owners were there ? lol.

post-2960-1177403385_thumb.jpg

The on water conditions could not have been better.How many Haines owners were there ? lol.

The guys that got the Cuttly were in one. He went straight into the middle of the pack. I think he made boat number 7 at that point.

We had Yakkas sworming under the boat. Had I wanted to go to the FAD I wouldn't have been able to find them.

We went everywhere at full throttle. Amazing, Ive had rougher days in closed waters. The 50 m water had lots of small schools of what I think were Sauries. Long thin baitfish which looked brilliant blue with black markings as they hit the air. Does anyone know how to catch them as I know they'd be good bait?

Good report fishlexic

thnkas for sharing it.

how good do the xrap's look

you can never go wrong with red/white

Yeah the new xrap's look nice huh.... I have another one in the 2 piece that i haven't yet caught anything on but its only been in the water for about 20 min so that not really fair. I was suprised the xrap was staying down cause we were trolling at about 9 miles/hour (not sure what that converts to in knots) but it still stayed down even with the occasional overspeed with waves. That lure got 70% of the fish!!!!! so its now justified the price tag!