Snap Frozen Squid

ophet

Hi all, I read of people catching squid and snap freezing it.

Can someone explain what this is, the advantages of this over normal freezing (I assume stopping freezer burn), how it works and what tools you need to do it.

Cheers.

Mate all i do is i get a paper towel wipe the squid very dry i wrap each squid in a foil so it has no air ,then i place them in a air tight container, straight into the freezer & they stay very fresh & dont lose their colour .

Cheers Brett

When I go squidding I take some glad cliplock bags, a 10ltr esky & a couple of ice bricks along with me. When I get a squid I put it straight into the bag, roll it up & push all the air out,& put it onto the ice bricks. Whack them into the freezer when you get home. If they ink into the bag even better!

They are that fresh when thawed that the tentacles still stick to your hands.

Cheers,

Grant.

Good stuff guys, I do recall seeing Big Steve's post before. I now have a better understanding of how to freeze these prized little possessions.

Whenever I hear about people snap freezing the squid, I thought there was a special tool or freezing component to it, ie liquid ice or some advanced technical devices or ingredients.

So I assume the "snap" refers to the snap lock bags.

Thanks to all for your responses :biggrin2:

To my understanding Snap freezing means

as soon as they hit ice they go to sleep so the stress

is less which is quick and doesn,t degrade the bait in any way.

Comprendo my friend. Snap frozen, as in 'quick' frozen. Although technically, it really is not snap frozen, more like snap chilling.

Cheers.