Poppa Session

Guest Plastic Fanatic

Guest Plastic Fanatic

G'Day all

Weather was pretty lousy leading up to ANZAC Day. As luck would have it, the weather on the day was fantastic. Overcast, threatening to rain (but it didn't) and very mild wind. Attended the Dawn service with two other ex-trackers and headed home to have brekkie with the kids. My fishing mate gave me a call at 7am and suggested we chase a few bream around the oyster racks with poppas. Now I gotta tell ya, bream on poppas have been more scarce than gay, albino bilbys, but what the heck, I agreed.

As we used the eleccy to approach the oyster racks, the water above the racks was alive with exposed dorsal and tail fins! There were literally 100s of bream feeding on the oysters on top of the racks. We decided to hold back away from the racks and put some loooong poppa casts along/over the racks.

Nothing! Not one taker :1badmood: Off comes the poppa and on goes the little sneaky Scorpion in mullet color. Managed to wrestle in three nice fish around 35cm mark until the little lure was surgical remove by some fancy fin-work under the racks.

While all this was going on I happened to notice the bank opposite the racks. Lotsa of shade, rock and shell bottom, and long thick weed beds with roughly 2 foot of water over them. After a quick discussion it was agreed that we would have a crack there.

Both of us tied on the translucent lemon-colored poppas and started working them across the weed bed. What ensued was probably best described as organised chaos. We drifted back and forth along that bank for the next three hours. Final score: 18 bream caught, 5 over 40cm, biggest one 46cm, smallest one 16cm. Unfortunately I had left my camera at home in anticpation of bad weather and a poor session on poppas :1badmood::1badmood:

Lessons learned =

If everyone has been fishing the racks, fish the banks that no-one has been targetting

Don't be in a hurry to write off the poppas just yet. The weather may be cool but water temp is still very warm

Take ya bloody camera! :1prop:

Unfortunately I had left my camera at home in anticpation of bad weather and a poor session on poppas :1badmood::1badmood:

Damn! Would have loved to see the bag of bream (and the popper used to catch them) especially the 46 cm stonker. Seeing them would have made up for the miserable day I had yesterday in the cold and wet. Awesome session :thumbup:

Guest Plastic Fanatic

Overcast no wind warm water

Just the tonic for great poppering

Not surprised you got a great bag

Im guessing being from Tuross they would be black bream you caught?

Yeah mate, they were all Black Bream. Very aggressive on the poppas like we have never seen them before. Five of the fish had both trebles basically in their mouths. Unlike other days, most of the strikes were with the poppa on the move.

We are expecting a fair amount of rain in the next 48hrs and a subsequent plummet in water temp in the next coupla weeks. The surfers and swimmers tell me the water is still around 20 degrees at the moment so i guess we will have another crack at them this Saturday ... wind and weather permitting. I have no delusions though ... the previous session was a stand out effort and not something we are likely to duplicate any time soon.