Lake Illawarra Sunday 29/04/07

Lewis

G,day Raiders

My mate Rick and myself hit the lake at 2pm on Sunday to see if we could disspell these rumors that the lake has gone very quiet.

First up we tried adjacent to the ramp, where we flicked SPs around and threw out lightly weighted shelled prawns for about an hour with no luck. We noticed a bloke out on his hobie mirage sports and straight away I knew it was FishingMick another one of our fellow members. We called out, only to find that Mick was doing it tough as well.

Then next we moved up to the back of the channel and tried the same with the same result not even a nibble, we were starting to think the reports were right. With the wind starting to get up we moved in behind Bevens island to try some deeper water, there was me flicking every type and colour SP I had in my posession and Rick still persisting with the peeled prawns. It was at this time after Rick pulled up his rig and notice that there were very small pices taken from the prawn that I thought hey a bite is abite that means fish so I changed my SP for a lightly weighted prawn and instant success, a 12cm whiting, hey I was rapped, no seriously I was dissapointed so we moved down to the bridge with the OUT GOING CURRENT " great to see " starting to ease to see if there were any bream under said bridge. On with a fresh peeled prawn and just after it hit the bottom I felt a very light touch, then another, then strike and I was not expecting what was biting to pull so hard, this thing was taking line so I tightened the drag a little and after a good fight I was really suprised to see a 37cm blackfish had taken te bait, WOW PB for me in a big way. We spent another hour or so with no more bites, so we tossed up whether or not to try a little closer to the entrance where we first tryed as I notice a 3 to 4 foot drop off earlier.

The decision was to have one more crack, and what a crack it was, not more than 10 minutes after we anchored up just on dark, just after we saw FishingMick load his hobie and head home, I hear Rick ever so quietly go whooo, come on you know you want it comon, then smack Rick is on, this fish is pulling as hard as my bkackfish, I get the net and Rick lands a nice 32cm bream. So out with another peeled prawn Rick's all fired up by now and for good reason not long after he gets absolutly smashed, and this fish is taking a bit to get in not two but three runs and a bit of chasing around the boat, I get the net again as my fishing had eneded after the blackfish I did'nt get another bite, Rick gets the fish close enough for me to get the net under it. and what a fish 39cm of big fat blue nose bream, Ricks PB and he is wrapped.

Things went a little quiet from then on with Rick landing a just undersized tarwine and when there was a few spots of rain and lightning in the background we decided to call it a day, very well satisfied with our efforts.

I will attempt to get the photos off my camera phone and post them ASAP.

P.S. Well done Rick that is a great bream, Cheers.