Sydney Harbour Report Round 2 3/5/07

sanger

Hey guys thanks for all the words of encouragment after yesterdays dismal efforts in the harbour http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...showtopic=20505

we couldnt help ourselves and headed back out this morning for round 2, a bit later this time as getting up at 4:30 am then doing a night shift after a full days fishing kinda makes you tired... so we headed out at a more respectable 630. Straight to manly again to fill up on live bait. we had 4 on board today so i went up the front of the boat to get some squid while the other boys went for yakka's and gar down the back. I hooked 2 squid but both to my horror spat the jig shortly after engulfing it from the middle feeling the plastic and deciding it wasn't nice.... HMMMM not to sure about the non cloth yozuri's after seeing this!!! anyway enough about bait 10 yakka's and a gar on board, so off we went to a drift spot of north head to bottom bounce for some snapper. Squat except a nice 1.5kg mowong, Enough of the bottom bouncing off to the fads!

Get to the fads and have my soft plastic followed by a dollie for my first 2 casts then caught a small rat king of only about 30cm then the wind came up and made life hard so headed back to the quarrantine wave rider boy...... down go the yakka's, im still feeding mine down slowly and the yakka gets nervous then bang and i get a nice birds nest cause i wasn't expecting to get hit on the drop ( that will teach me) :tease: . We get the birds nest out and end up boating a 54 cm king...... So there you go my faith has been restored in yakka's as a bait as i finally get something on them. Through another one down and its down there all of about 2 mins when the yakka gets twitchy and bang on again and this time no birds nest so this rat is boated in all of about 30 seconds then proccedes to backflip all round the boat..... I guess it was still a bit green having only but up a short fight.

After that someone flicked the switch and turned the bite off even though the sounder was still showing plenty...... Once again thanks for the advice about the yakka's guys the small ones did the trick!!!!!!! :thumbup:

post-4037-1178185810_thumb.jpg

post-4037-1178185819_thumb.jpg

nice one there fishlexic. good to see you finally catch something on live yakka. Is that a kingfish u're holding? looks kinda like an amberjack

One of them was definately a king but the other we weren't so sure about so there is every chance it was an amberjack!!!!

Congratulations and other the the little problem with the birds nest you look like you really enjoyed your day :biggrin2:

Jess

Great day out on the water specially in the harbour!!!! Yeah the birds nest is just a good reminder that you never know when your going to get hit so keep on your game!!!!!! :biggrin2:

Has anyone ever caught a 30cm kingie? Was speaking to a marine scientist whose expertise is fish. He says baby kingfish are tiny. This leads to the question...where do they hang out until they get to the rat size? This is an unanswered question. Very interesting.

robMc

Hey rob... the small king we caught out at the fad on a soft plastic was probably not much more than 30cm.... and as for that king it was 100% a king not an amberjack..... although i wish it was an amberjack as the amber pulled twice as hard as the king did when hooked!!!!! :P

my mistake

still, a 30cm king is not that common

has anyone caught a smaller kingfish?

Im pretty sure CFD put up a pic not long ago of a King

caught at one of the fads,and it was the size of his palm.

penguin

A couple of years ago i was fishing the drums in botany bay... anyway, the day was coming to an end, so i was cleaning my hands, which were covered in squid ink, over the side of the boat, and the smallest king i have ever seen (approx 30cm) swam right up to within inches of my hand and was sniffing the ink cloud. i kid you not !!

he was sooo cute :wub:

Well done mate, good to see you getting onto some fish.

Yes, the first one certainly looks like an Amberjack !!! I believe there is no size limit to the Amberjacks, so you could have kept him !!!!

Great stuff mate! Were you guys in that red boat at quarantine?

DAN

Nah mate we were in a white 660 quintrex trailercraft i think its called. Its got rocket launchers on top.

Sure was a nice day again today but i couldnt make the early rise after the night shift for the third day in a row!!! The boat is staying in for the weekend and a little beach fishing on the central coast is on the cards but hopefully next weekend weather permitting we are going to try our hands at jigging up a few kings off terrigal!!!!

Enjoy the weekend one and all!

Edited by fishlexic

Guys,the red boat at Quarantine was me but I'm too embarrased to put up my post. Great day on the water but a crappy catch - 3 bonnies, 1 x37cm mowie and a monster cuttle that was eating the little red rock cod I'd hooked plus a host of kindy snapper. Oh well, beat workin anyway.

Tuffy