Tcd, How Is It Fishing ?

Well the long wait is finally over and next weekend i plan to fish TCD, last time i was there in June 2006 it was 34% but still managed a 50+cm rainbow.

So raiders has any body fished it recently, what is the water level, and whats catching those mega thommo's trout????

BM

Well the long wait is finally over and next weekend i plan to fish TCD, last time i was there in June 2006 it was 34% but still managed a 50+cm rainbow.

So raiders has any body fished it recently, what is the water level, and whats catching those mega thommo's trout????

BM

Fished there a while back for no a lot of fish ,but last yr around June we scored some beauties including my PB Brown of 64 cms and grants Pb Rainbow of 53 cm.

When we were last there the water levels were way down.

Good luck and try rapala 5 cm floating rainbow pattern and tassive devils in pink or red celtas in no 3 size.

Cheers Stewy

Fished there a while back for no a lot of fish ,but last yr around June we scored some beauties including my PB Brown of 64 cms and grants Pb Rainbow of 53 cm.

When we were last there the water levels were way down.

Good luck and try rapala 5 cm floating rainbow pattern and tassive devils in pink or red celtas in no 3 size.

Cheers Stewy

Yeh,

I remember that Brown was a horse!!!. Thank's Stewy I was actually was planning to give some big squidgy fish in rainbow trout a go along the base of the dam walls (are you allowed to use SP's?). Never fished celtas or tassies, how do you fish them?

BM

Yeh,

I remember that Brown was a horse!!!. Thank's Stewy I was actually was planning to give some big squidgy fish in rainbow trout a go along the base of the dam walls (are you allowed to use SP's?). Never fished celtas or tassies, how do you fish them?

BM

Celtas and Tassies are just cast out as far as possible and a slow retrieve just to get them working

The Celta has a bladed spinner and works at very slow retrieves.

You can use any artificial lure of fly .

No baitfishing allowed and dont forget fishing from the Dam Wall itself is not allowed.

Cheers Stewy

No problem fishing off the dam wall that I’m aware of the Fisheries inspector or security guards have never said anything, just don’t walk on the grassed side to avoid erosion.

Regards Charlie

Edited by zook2001

No problem fishing off the dam wall that I’m aware of the Fisheries inspector or security guards have never said anything, just don’t walk on the grassed side to avoid erosion.

Regards Charlie

There is a great big sign that says if people are caught fishing from the wall proper that the Dam will be CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC

There is a great big sign that says if people are caught fishing from the wall proper that the Dam will be CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC

Sorry to mislead anyone, I don't recall it being ther last year, it"s not good their taking a harder line on this.

Regards Charlie

Sorry to mislead anyone, I don't recall it being ther last year, it"s not good their taking a harder line on this.

Regards Charlie

This is a private dam run by Delta Electricity and the sign was there last yr as well.

There are strict conditons on entry and exit times as well and security guards patrol the area at times

If you go up that way please adhere to the rules set in place as its good spot close to Sydney and the trout fishing can be very good :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

This is a private dam run by Delta Electricity and the sign was there last yr as well.

There are strict conditons on entry and exit times as well and security guards patrol the area at times

If you go up that way please adhere to the rules set in place as its good spot close to Sydney and the trout fishing can be very good :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

I did not know that you were not allowed to fish from the dam wall?

I have fished there several times before and never had a problem with fishing from the wall?

Even spoke to the sercurity guard and he did not say any thing, never noticed the sign

Having trouble sourcing celtas and vibrax's any ideas who stocks them in sydney

BM

Just got this info of Delta's site :thumbdown:

Delta storage levels as at 14 May 2007

Dam

Active Storage (ML)

% of capacity

Thompsons Creek Reservoir

5,584ML

20.5%

Lake Lyell

5,435ML

16.9%

Lake Wallace

977ML

44.3%

Total active storage

Total storage capacity

19.5%

Maybe fishing from the dam wall will be out of the question (20% !!!)

Man that is low, at least the fish will be congregated and probably pretty hungry

BM

Im heading up thre next week, should be starting to fire hopefully. 20% not too bad. I live in Orange now and all our dams are well less than 4%....ouch

I was at my old fave dam (burrendong) which is now 1% and the boat ramp would be close to 800m out of the water

scary

Hi Bream Mad,

I fished TCD at the end of April. It wasn't a pretty sight -- and the water levels were still falling as Delta Power was drawing water off for the power stations. Word was Wallerwang Power Station was about to close down and cease power production, so the water level might now stabilise. Few fish were being caught in Thomsons.

Best fishing was in Lake Wallace (near Wallerawang), where big rainbows were being caught, and Lake Lyall (should be less alga now the weather is cooler) for smaller browns and rainbows.

Don't even think about Oberon Dam: Huge mud flats have trapped quite a few unwary anglers of late. Fears were that Oberon would be empty by August if there isn't substantial rain before then.

All a bit sad really.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

Hi Bream Mad,

I fished TCD at the end of April. It wasn't a pretty sight -- and the water levels were still falling as Delta Power was drawing water off for the power stations. Word was Wallerwang Power Station was about to close down and cease power production, so the water level might now stabilise. Few fish were being caught in Thomsons.

Best fishing was in Lake Wallace (near Wallerawang), where big rainbows were being caught, and Lake Lyall (should be less alga now the weather is cooler) for smaller browns and rainbows.

Don't even think about Oberon Dam: Huge mud flats have trapped quite a few unwary anglers of late. Fears were that Oberon would be empty by August if there isn't substantial rain before then.

All a bit sad really.

Regards,

Bob

I think i might give the dams a miss, i don't have any confidence fishing Wallace from plenty of past donuts.

I think it is time to hit my favourite stretch of the Fish River, it is flowing nicely at the moment :thumbup:

See if i can't get some nice Browns before the streams close :biggrin2:

BM

• 2 weeks later...

I think i might give the dams a miss, i don't have any confidence fishing Wallace from plenty of past donuts.

BM

Heya guys, long time since I posted here!

Wallace is a tough little fishery and one that takes a bit of getting used to and is only made harder by the limited access (oh how I wish I could get at the far shore!) I have had a couple of decent sessions there but always VERY early morning.

Anyway, I am contemplating heading up to have a look at Lyell/TCD/Wallace on Sunday. Does anybody know if all the access gates into Lyell are closed and locked?

Cheers

Windy