Offshore From Terrigal

livo

Well after 6 hours of Leather jackets and 5 different spots we eventually found some quality.

The day started well with a keeper Snapper (32 cm) at Terrigal Wide on the first bait of the day and then the Jackets arrived. Current was pretty strong out of the south and we were losing gear. I'd say the snapper were there but we couldn't get the baits to the bottom before the jackets hit them. We kept six but my FIL hates them and it's his boat so up anchor and we move about 10 kms north to 54 meters in front of Toowoon Bay.

Guess what? Jackets. Another 4 in the esky and FIL has had enough.

In to The Entrance Gullys at 45 meters and the Reds are there in numbers and hungry but all between 20 and 28 cms. By this time the High Tide has passed and the Reds are going cold. The saver here was a rather large Flathead. Also a small Nannygai.

There were stacks of Sargent Baker everywhere and I caught 3 big ones on my floater rig. Decided on another move to a spot in shallower water in front of Forresters Beach for nothing.

We have a favourite spot out in front of Avoca so off we go. By this time the water is smooth. Anchor up at The A Frame and its all Snapper and Trevally plus a nice Blue Morwong.

Days Tally is one ripper Flatty, 5 blertas, 10 Reds, 13 Leatheries and a Nannygai.

The Leather Jackets are everywhere and we must have dropped about a dozen sinkers between 4 and 8 oz each plus a couple of dozen hooks.

post-3225-1179650752_thumb.jpg post-3225-1179650811_thumb.jpg

post-3225-1179650769_thumb.jpg post-3225-1179650981_thumb.jpg

post-3225-1179650993_thumb.jpg

Edited by mrs rzep

Looks like you ended up with a good feed, despite all the LJ's :thumbup:

Shame about the lost gear, but as they say Thats Fishin

Yeah it ended up a good day with the last two hours producing a good box out of what was pretty ordinary.

I'm not worried about the gear as I cast all my own lead and I've got a few years supply. Only cheap ebay hooks so no problems. The main problem is the amount of line you lose from the reels after a few rounds with them.

While the FIL doesn't like them, my :wife: and tin lids eat Jackets and I was brought up eating them for Sunday breakfast. It's hard to stay interested in catching them for too long though once you've got 10 or so on ice.

Wow what :1yikes: top feed :thumbup:

Well done.

penguin

Sorry about the messy post. Two weeks ago the photos just fell into place. Maybe it's the Woody's :beersmile::beersmile::beersmile:

I will add here that almost all fish were caught on pilly cubes with a couple of reds and blertas falling to that red Ultrabait stuff that you mix up in the plastic bag. We ran out of pillies and we had 4 kg's with us to start. We usually take some other baits like Mackeral and Tuna fillets and some squid but today we didn't. In the shallow water I was chucking handfulls of chook pellets over the side every couple of minutes but the current was probably taking them away from the boat.

Edited by livo

What a great day out !

Not to blow Flightmanagers report , as he dropped in for a quick ale on the way home from the Hawksbury today , but his esky all but looked exactly like yours!

Now, I saw the look on his and no 1 sons face at my place and going by that look alone...........

You had a top day :thumbup:

Cheers