Sydney Harbour 27/5

Thunder

My Deckie left me in the lurch at the last minute, so I decided to take my 7 yr old out in Sydney Harbour. Thried to con the :wife: but she wouldn't be in it.

Got to Rose Bay ramp around 8.45am, I didn't want to get there early as I had to launch the 5.5m Cruise Craft by myself, so didn't want to get in anyones way.

I met Flight Manager at the ramp and he was headed out to Long Reef. The Ba$tard got the last parking spot - I guess you have to be lucky some times. :05:

I launched the boat and tied it up at the wharf with the 7 yr old standing shotgun over it and ended up parking on the street about 1km away.

Over to Balmoral for some yakkas.

post-2813-1180262402_thumb.jpg post-2813-1180262453_thumb.jpg

My son caught about 30 of them and did not want to leave.

Over to the bouy at North Head for zip. Got quite a few snags and bust off's (on the snags) though.

Then we fought our way through the amarda to the Wedding Cake.

post-2813-1180262601_thumb.jpg post-2813-1180262645_thumb.jpg

My son hooked a huge one. So big I had to help him.

Lucky I had the drag set properly.

No matter how hard we tried, we could not pull it in.

Lucky in a way, as I don't have a trailer or car big enough !!!

This "Goose" in a yacht named "Goose" (appropriately named) decided to sail between the Wedding Cake and us. There was only a 20ft (6 metre) gap as you can see from the picture above. Anyway, we hooked the "Goose" and I ended up letting it go. Catch & release.

There were large yachts 20 - 30m passing within 10 feet of our boat, so I decided to up anchor and go for a blast around the harbour and take a few pictures before heading home.

My son was rapt with the day and did not want to go home.

I think next time if it is calm, and I have a Deckie, I will take him outside as he seemed OK with the swell around the Heads. We might do a bit of trolling and a few drifts for flatties.

post-2813-1180263189_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Greg

It seems to be an unwritten law with weekend yachties on Sydney Harbour , that they HAVE to get as close to you as possible , and if you have to alter your course because of them , so much the better!! :1badmood::ranting2::ranting2:

It was a great day out on the Harbour , little choppy on the way back from Long Reef , where we scored 6 Wrasse. Quick stop at Spot X for 2 nice Flathead , then back to the ramp and home.

Your young fella looked as if he had really enjoyed himself!!!

Ross

Pitty about the one that got away thunder!!! We have had some fun with the yatch's in the harbour recently to!!!! Like having one nearly rip out our anchor rope it came so close!!!!! Good to see you got the little fella out for a fish Someone planted the fishing seed in me when i was that old, Its only really just sprouted about 20 years later!!! but what a tree its grown into damnit i can't get rid of the damn bug!!!!! :biggrin2:

The Trailer Sailers have a special code. THey get bonus points for running over your lines. Did he give you a wave as he went past?

Good score on the Yakkas. Pity you didn't get amongst some larger specimens..

Cheers

C.

When we were getting the yakkas at Balmoral there was a dive boat around the corner, so we stayed well away on the point.

My son said "Hey Dad, look, theres a turtle"

After another 10 seconds a snorkeler appeared from the depths.

Then the moron kept swimming through our burley and scaring the yakkas away.

I was thinking about lobbing some (tuna oil) burley on his back, but thought it would be a waste, especially if they followed him when he finally left us in peace.

Why can't Dive boats bring there own burley if they want to swim through fish schools?

There is never a shark around when you need one !!!

I heard Turtles are "Prime Tucker" :1prop:

My son plays soccer on Saturday and I work as well, so Sunday is always going to be fishing day.

When it gets warmer we might do a Gibbo and camp in the Hawkesbury. I need to show him how to pump nippers and catch bream and flatties and toss some SP's around.

Cheers

Greg

Great report - the harbour sounds really busy. In Broken Bay you have plenty of room to get around the bigger yachts that seem to set a track right for you.

Cant wait for my two little ones to get that little bit bigger so I can get them fishing! 2.5yo and 4 months is just a little young - although they do like to watch the catch swimming around in the live bait tank.

Dadddy - Fish!!!

Tight lines

:1prop::1prop::1prop:

At least u got yourself some nice pics and your boy had fun catching yakkas.

I have promised myself to never fish the Harbour again on a Sunday thanks to

some of them yaghties sailing through my anchor rope and floats :mad3:

penguin

Hey Thunder!

Good to hear you and your son had a great day on the water!!! Pity to hear about the yatch, crossing your line. Its a common occurance as others have pointed out!

My best mate is a hot air floater, an he has learnt dont do this,,,,particulary to Greg, which he has tried in the past :1yikes: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, all yatchs that come WAY to close there is a short warning of "burley", and then we start berleying the surrounding vincicty! :074::biggrin2:

Anyhow Great to hear about a good day on Sydney Harbour!

DAN

D&G

Hey thunder, sounded like u had a ball with your son,

My son is 8 and never wants to come out on the deck with me, he rather sit in front of the TV or play with his pokeball, My daughter however is more interested in the whole fishing scheme. Im sure your daughter wont wanna go after last time though thunder or maybe she does, i still remember that post.

3m swells hey on saturday, always love a good challenge, ive decided im going to get some deckies together and test out my new alphabet lures. try and catch some flatty, will settle for anything

Well back to work i go

See u all out there