Sounder Cable Split

achjimmy

Hi All

Great Forum, been following it for a while. I have just bought a S/hand 4.75 Quintrex. I think of it as my 1st boat cause my only other boat was 4 yrs ago, Markham Whaler 4m and was too small for the family and didnt steer straight, only lasted 4 outings and got sold.

I have removed the floor and cleaned the hull. I was checking the transducers mount (slider) and noticed a split in the cable insulation where to goes into the transducer, no apprantent wire damage but the copper is starting to go green! I was wondering if there is anyway to open them up? Alternativley i was going to fasten the cable so it does not flex much try some heat shrink with the glue inside and some form of resin/expoxy around the split.

Any other suggestions, sounder is a Lowrance X25. Dont know if a replacement transducer is still available or worthwhile given it is pretty old. I just want to get some use out of it and go through the learning curve with sounders.

Rgds

jim

Good Morning Jim, wlecome to fishraider. We have never had any great sucess at repairing transducer leads. If you lead is not fully broken and the wire seath is only split, then clean-up the wire as best you can and reseal the cut with heat shrink. It is worth trying, but if that does not work you can purchase a new transducer for your X25 online at www.lowrance.com.au for $94.

Cheers,

Huey.

Good Morning Jim, wlecome to fishraider. We have never had any great sucess at repairing transducer leads. If you lead is not fully broken and the wire seath is only split, then clean-up the wire as best you can and reseal the cut with heat shrink. It is worth trying, but if that does not work you can purchase a new transducer for your X25 online at www.lowrance.com.au for $94.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Huey

Thank you for your reply. Will give the repair ago, i think if i need a new lead i will look into another sounder. Just trying to keep everything as much as is until i get a few miles under my belt. I got some welding to do on the seat brackets