Jew Fish Bait And Rig

Kiwi Dan

Hello all,

Im taking the boat to the spit tonight to try stock up on some squid for a massive weekend and Monday session. Thought I might try my hand at catching a Jew tonight while trying for squid (surely another line in the water cant hurt).

Could someone tell me the best way to rig up for a Jew and the best bait? is it fresh squid or something else?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Kiwi Dan

One bait one hit, IMO jews can be fussy go the big 6/0 octopus circle through the back of the tail. Use minimum weight to make it natrual. Use a heavy trace, just recently a jew bit through my 17lb trace so dont be suprised.

rigs vary from fisher to fisher .... i personally prefer a good 22-26lb trace with a fixed 7/0 top and 11/0 bottom (if it aint big enough to take that, I don't want him!)

as far as bait .... you can't go wrong with fresh squid! yakkas and others work as well but anyone will attest that fresh squid is the go.

I got two Jew the other week...both on squid...one 74cm and the other 77cm. Rig was Alvey 6500BCVRR loaded with Maxima "Ultragreen" 15lb line, Alvey 10ft Rod, 35lb Schneider Leader and 8/0 Mustard "Big Gun" hook, though I am changing my rig to use Gamakatsu 6/0 Octopus Circle hooks as I have heard they give more chance of a mouth hook up and if I am going to catch and release don't want to do anymore damage than necessary.

Just make sure you have a good drag and patience...never try to rush the fish in...let it run when it wants to but keep pressure on it and you will get it in.

I am out on Sunday to try my luck again in the same spot...we might have good pics to post *fingers crossed*

Mike L.

Well I could not wait for Sunday...went on Saturday cause the weather bureau said it would rain on Sunday. Well it poured rain the whole time we were fishing but the Jew were biting...could get them to bite easy as just could not get them to actually take the bait.

They say it is not Jew fishing unless you are cold, wet and hungry well yesterday I was all three but picked up my second ever and so far biggest Jew...no monster he went 79cm (about 4.5kg). So now I have scored 2 (74cm & 79cm) in 2weeks!

Now I have set myself the challenge of getting one over the metre mark but won't be heading out again for a while as we have more than enough fish for the two of us and I don't want to just wantonly kill a beautiful fish for no reason.

I think next time I will go at night and try using live poddy mullet to see if I can tempt a bigger one.

tight lines!

post-1743-1180833051_thumb.jpg