South Coast Holiday Destinations

james1990

Hi guys

Were going on a family holiday down the the southcoast of NSW somewhere between wollongong and batemans bay areas in the first week of july

We will be taking the new boat down hopefully get some BIG fish.

What areas are good fishing around end of june and july, what species are there and what areas can we get them in.

I was thinking go jervis bay or ulladulla.

cheers james

Hi James,

I usually head North for most local getaways but recently went to Gerringong. It is a beautiful place, very close to Sydney, about 1.5hrs away and is pretty close to the many waterways of the south coast. I was down there for a 3 day getaway with my wife. I only managed one fishing session which was cut drastically short, the reason for this was there was a manta ray (massive) swimming right to the edge of the boat ramp I was fishing from, anyway it swam close to me 3 times so I thought I would grab my camera to get a snap shot. Well as I'm turning around to get the camera with fishing rod in hand the hook from my rod goes into my wife's mouth, I was unaware of this until I hear a scream, a bloody loud high pitch one, I have never heard my wife scream and it scared the sh** out of me. I turn around and see the fishing line going into her mouth and no sight of the hook, I crap myself then somehow, amazingly she pulls the hook out without any major damage, just some serious scraping. By the way my wife if allergic to seafood and I was lucky the prawn that I had on the hook had just fallen off. This was one time I was very happy that i wasn't using my chemically sharpened hooks. A quick run to the chemist see us get some antiseptic then straight home to have some vodka shots to clean the mouth out.

Back to the topic, top place and extremely nice. I am sure with some local knowledge you will be onto some good fish. I know there are a couple raiders who know the area well and would be able to give you some insight to the immediate area and also the surrounding areas.

Have fun and good luck

Francis

Edited by manama

I went to shoalhaven with some freinds of mine a few years back,

As you go out the head to the right you have the light house, well that beach on the left next 2 the break wall is an EXTREMELY top beach for flatty drifts, i reccomend it be tried.

I think we will probably end up going to jervis bay.

Some of the fishing plans will be to

cube for fin at shelf/canyons what ever spot is good.

Troll the cliffs with divers, chromes and skirts for kings, salmon, tailor etc

Fish around the bay with the family for just the tiddles bream, flattys etc

On another topic, i just remembered the marine park planning zone.

Has the marine park been kicked in yet on the south coast? from memory it was 90 000 hecatares.

If it has been put into action what ports are effected and is there a site where i can download a map to show what i can and cannot do etc.

cheers james