One Squid Jig

catchnrelease

OK guys, goin' squidding soon so I need another jig. Money is pretty tight but I don't want cheap $10 jigs either. It'll be in the Hacking so what are the best colour/s? Already have one that's 2.5 and blue/white. Heard that Yellow/Browns are producing? Some of the Yo-Zuri's look the goods as well as some of the Duel Pheremones. I want it in either 2.5 or 3.0 size.

This one caught my eye in either PW or BWOG:

Squid Jig

Any advice welcome as I'm not an "expert" squidder.

Thanx. :1fishing1:

What species of squid are you after? Arrows, Southern Calamari? And what sizes are you likely to encounter? What sort of depth are you fishing in? This info will greatly help in jig selection.

If its decent size Southerns i like large number 3.5 to 4.0 sized Yo-zuris in Pink, Orange or really any colour you like. Action and free fall time are way more important than colour.

If you are after Arrows, then i have no idea :074: Only ever caught them by accident and never specifically targetted them.

Cheers

Red

I'm looking for a general jig as I'll be fishing in all depths and probably both species. Let me put it this way:

-You can buy one jig

-Your in the Hacking

-Mostly Southerns but maybe some Arrows

-Fishing pretty much all likely depths

-Sizes...how long's a piece of string?

It's pretty general. The trip is 5 days long so I'll be doing everything.

I suggest you go more than one sized jig mate, for depths up to 4m you should go 1.8 to 2.0 size, anything bigger go the 2.5 to 3.0.

I've found that the natural colours work the best, yellows, greens, crimsons and so on.

Lately in the Hacking all I've been catching is Calamari's no matter where I go. It's okay for the dinner plate but they are harder to catch and harder to get in big numbers unlike the good ol Arrow which take anything and everything.

IFS

If i was only allowed to choose one jig for the rest of my life it would be a pink Yozuri 3.5 This jig has become a firm favourite for calamari and i always have a few backups as you can sometimes lose jigs through snagging in heavy kelp. Mind you i've taken them on all colours including black. Its the singer not the song. Getting to know how to work a jig properly is more important than brand, size and colour.

Try and take several jigs with you if you intend to fish for 5 days. You will need them.

Regards

Red

I honestly don't know what the fuss is?

Yozuri's and $30 jigs?!?!?! Bugger that!

I mean why would you when the cheaper jigs do EXACTLY the same job?!?!?

I was using $2.50 Wattos jigs and my mate was using jigs he'd bought plain and coloured himself and we were smashing it!!

We lost 8 all day to the leather jackets but who cares?!?! i think it was a total of $20 in lost gear as apposed to $20 for one lost Yozuri?!?!

No offence guys, but you'd have to be made to buy jigs for the prices you are.

The Wattos jigs sound pretty good. I could not recommend them purely because i have not used them.

My local store gives me the latest Yozuri 3.5 for $15 so i aint complaining. However if there's a product that is as good, at only a fraction of the price, i will pull my head out of the sand and give it a go. :1prop:

Calamari can be stupid, suicidal creatures at times and will take anything when in that sort of mood.

Regards

Red

I have caught both Calamari and Arrows on everything from the high end Yo Zuris to the sinker on the bottom of my Paternoster rig. Squid are bloody stupid and don't let anyone tell you any different. The Arrows are especially thick and we have caught them on squid baits intended for kings. They don't even let go of the bait as you swing them into the boat.

In my humble opinion, it is all in the way you fish the jig. I also believe that a level sink is important. You must fish the jigs slowly and allow ample time for the jig to get into the zone. If you are losing jigs in the kelp or frequently getting snagged, you are fishing in the correct part of the water column. That said, I have also caught squid on the surface.

Cheap jigs work but don't last. The weights fall out and the hooks bend and rust. Expensive jigs also work and last longer. I believe you should select the jigs based on your experience with losing them and their longevity. Also, a nose heavy jig can always be adjusted with a file or tin snips.

I lost four $15 Yo Zuris in about 53 minutes on Saturday without catching a squid.... when I changed to the cheap jigs I had left, I caught a squid.

Thats fishin (or squidin). :wacko:

Edited by Ceph

Yeah im a firm believer that its the way you use them not the cost of the jig that counts most!!!! I caught my first squid off the rocks the other day with a $2 number i tied on cause i didnt want to lose my good ones!!!!! But having said that the more expensive jigs do last longer as ceph said and require less tweaking to get them floating right!!!

Hmmmm

Different jiggs for different circumstances

When I (DAN) go for southern's I use several different differents, less than 5 in particular outa over 30jiggs. My jiggs range from $2 pioneer jiggs from Wattos,,, LOVE EM :biggrin2: ,, to a few yo -zoris $20 a peice,, and even a $39 jigg when has never been used ,,, scare to lose it,,, would be POOOOO for a week!

When fishing for southerns,, you have to have complete confidence and knowledge of the sink rate of your line, specific jigg, and bottom depth its absolutely vital,,,,, as you want that jigg as close as possible to the bottom, without snagging up every 3 cast :thumbdown: . Can get bloody expensive!

Dunno why it is, but I have several jiggs that I always pick up or lose :thumbdown: a southern or few!

Know your gear, line and sink rate,,, bottom depth is always helpful. Thats why i use a cheap JV jigg from,,, if i lose it to a snag, I dont care at least I get a feel for the bottom depth.

Hope this help! Does for me when Im shallow water squidding, which I quite often do LB based

DAN

D&G

As you guys have said, its all in the way that you use it. Knowing the sink rate of your jig and line is the name of the game. Its that simple.

Went bait gathering late last night with my brother in law. I used my trusty mangled pink Yozuri 3.5 and he chopped and changed at least 5 times. Finally tally - Red 18, Brother in law 2

Yes it was a carve up but he did get the largest one for the session :1prop: . Truth is, i have a passion for gathering jew baits and have been doing it for years and the BOL has only been squidding for a year or two.

Now, was it my trusty jig or was it technique? Me thinks the latter but in saying that, having confidence in your chosen jig plays a role.

Regards

Red

ive been using yozuri for a while but ive changed to yamashitas

they sink more slower and ive out squidded a mate using yozuri's(almost all the time)

around the same price ive found the best size to be 1.8

ive got big and small, southerns and arrows too

colours are up to u the usual suspects i guess

pink green orange

in the yo zuri range i found the best to be the AURIE-Q Senei.

i think its the best ive had

neways happy squiding dude

Too right Dave. The Yamashitas are hot jigs. Been using them for a good 10 years and they kick butt too :thumbup: . Love the funky new colour patterns. The current Yammas are the best finished jig on the market IMO!

Cheers

Red