1999 Hornet Trophy 3.9

codfishman

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of buying a hornet trophy 3.90. It's a 1999 model with a 25 hp donk. A mate of mine said he thought these early hornets were a fairly wet boat and I was wondering if anyone else has heard this criticism.

He also thought that the 25 hp engine would be a bit small for this boat given that they're fairly heavy. Has anyone got an opinion of this view?

There will be no more than 3 adults in the boat but I don't want to find that it just doesn't have enough grunt, after I buy it!!

Guys I would really value your feedback on these 2 issues.

cheers

Peter

Hi Peter, I responded to you other post so this may be a double up. As far as 3.90M boats go the Hornet/Bass series is about as good as it gets in terms of ride quality and dryness. Of course a boat of this size can be wet if not driven to the conditions or trimmed correctly.

What do they want for the rig? With a 25HP it would be fine with 2 adults and a bit of gear, but the 3rd adult would really knock the performance about. The best thing to do is agree with the seller on price and then water test it with 3 adults and I think you will want more HP. that said if the price is right 30HP engines today as quite cheap and it may be worthwhile to consider upgrading the outboard.

PM me any details you have and I will let you know what I think.

Cheers,

Huey.