Cruisecraft - Vs - Seafarer: The Result

Andy Loops

Hi Huey / Nathan,

I really appreciate your input - thank you for being so free with your valuable advice! Nathan the ultimate endorsement of a brand is the satisfied words of an owner!

Have hit a knowledge gap here and will need to do some reading and legwork over the weekend.

We really were only looking at 4 strokes - but the number of brilliant reviews of motors like the E-TEC are very hard to ignore.

Will hopefully have a more informed opinion on Monday and will share the results on the forum.

A good weekend for boat shopping given it wont be too nice out on the water!

Thanks again,

Andrew

Little bit dissappointed that Australian importers of American boats are not passing on the fx saving given AUD's strength.

Apparently the saving is only on 08 model boats as these are ordered in 07??

All sounds very dodgy to me. Surely if you order a new boat today then the Aussie dealer purchases this at current AUD-USD rates... however they do not wish to pass this saving on.. Another thing we are noticing in dealing with a number of dealers around Sydney is that they look to move boats they have in stock instead of ordering a new model for the client. Not necessarily in the best interests of the client who is in the market for a new boat...

Our search has stalled at the moment more because the relevant parties are struggling to decide exactly what we want in the boat...

The boats themselves are spectacular - But I would like to say that the new CruiseCraft Explorer 685 is an absolutely awesome looking boat!!!! :thumbup: The attention to detail is probably the best we have seen even when compared to boats that are another 50k more in price! Only one slight negative and that is that the hull is not rated to more than 250HP.. These are going to be hot potatoes at the boat show.

Back to the drawing board.....

Andrew

Andy

I reckon you'll find some great bargains anywhere at the moment - pre June 30 and winter, dealers in Sydney seem very keen to sell. I was quoted a Trophy 2052 with hard top, pro pack and diesel for $81k that's almost $6k to $8k off and that was before haggle. I've looked at a few boats on the floor and they're very negotiable.

If there's a boat on the floor then you've got maximum buying power. I went for a run in an Arvor 20 the other week, the Arvor 25 might be a look in for you - very different boat, heaps of grunt for a small diesel with a top speed of 20 knots on the Arvor 20. It was a great layout and awesome fishing rig, seemed to handle well and rode very flat.

I'm 90% decided on a Whittley 700 Sea Legend, why? coz it's a lot of bang for your buck and everything I looked at - Cruisecraft 625, Trophy 2052, Arvor 20, pick similar size Haines Hunter - 600 or 650, Haines Signature, 632F or even Seafarer and you'll end up at $80k to $90k once you add options like decent fishfinders, GPS, windlass/electric anchor winch + some extra carpeting or seats etc - I live by $10k/metre for the boat/motor/trailer + $10k to drive away + $10k for extras. So a 6m boat is about $80k depending on options and a 7m boat about $90k depending on options.

I've put a deposit down subject to a test run on a Whittley 700 Sea Legend with a Yamaha 225hp 4 stroke - will be a bit of a gas guzzler I think (compared to my Johnson 140hp 4 stroke on my Whittley 580 Voyager where I get an average of 15 to 17L/hr) but the 700 Sea Legend is an awesome cross over boat - massive cabin, big comfy seats, heaps of storage, excellent wash out elkele;';'pit for fishing, high freeboard, big tall transom and can close it all in for an overnight run. With 250L of fuel and 160L of water with a small sink in the transom, massive under floor and under seat storage there's really little it doesn't have. Weight? - they reckon about 2820kg boat/motor/trailer - probably half filled with liquids so I reckon 3200kg all drive away. I've got a big diesel 4WD so no real issues towing it although I won't be doing any massive speeds.

Let me know if you want me to send you any photos or reviews I've got of these boats. I'm not 100% signed up yet but will confirm the final details in the next couple of weeks.

Evan

• 4 weeks later...

Drool, slobbber, omg!!!! You did it

Congratulations Andy Loops

You have a truly magnificent rig there.

Just wait till you see how she performs offshore!!!!

I have fished a fair bit on the 225 Grady and I can tell you the Whaler is heaps better.

May you have many happy hours in her.

If I see you out there I will be sure to come over and say G'day

Cheers

inhlanzi

Hi Andy, great boat you have there and I wish you many happy hours with her. I think I see in the top picture where you have the series 2 Verados which Merc have made improvements to the fuel usuage without sacrificing any performance-I am sure you are one happy camper.

As you said get yourself some Fishraider stickers and you are set.

Cheers,

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

Andy

Cracker of a boat and well done. I've ordered the Whittley 700 Sea Legend, awesome rig for me with a Yammie 225HP 4 stroke - big, broad, heavy with lots of freeboard, heaps of room out back and amazingly high out of the water. Should take delivery in the next few weeks.

I especially love the layout and options for overnighting with storm cover etc - same $$ at the end of the day (give or take $5000) compared to Cruisecraft 625, Trophy 2052, Haines 650, Signature 702 etc etc etc

Yours must have cost a bomb! not cheap those babies you've got into...

Evan

Hi Andrew

Enjoy the new toy....when you have a handle

on things is there a chance of your thought's............

ease of use..effectiveness etc

on the radar setup..... i noticed that is fitted to her

i recall the discussion in regards to the initial sounder choice

and presume that was thrown in the package so to speak

Cheers Warnie

Hey mate - we had a play last weekend and the unit is pretty easy to use. We set the radar to 1km in America's Bay on Sunday and picked up every boat in the area as well as a very well defined outline of the land. The weather was fine and boat stationary but it was good to see it working like this. Looking forward to seeing how it cuts through fog - especially the soup that can fill the haweksbury. Should be really handy in this situation and help us to avoid the kamikaze idiots that speed around in those conditions.

The Navman 8084 uses 3 buttons which is simple enough but I really need to get into the manual to unlock the potential of the unit.

Will give you an update after a few outings..

P.S. - The larger Furuno fishfinder would not mount in the console due to being 3mm too tall so we resigned ourselves to "pioneering" the 8084. Trust me if there are any issues the world will know about it! To be fair though it seems to be an exceptional piece of gear. Time will tell.