Makocraft

Wastin Time

Hi all,

Just starting to get together some ideas on a boat that i would like to purchase in the next 12 months, I know thats a long time away but i want to start my research now so when the :wife: says :biggrin2: i know exactly what i want.

I currently have a 5M quinnie runabout & I want something no bigger than 5.5M and in a cuddy style (for the kids mainly). Now i know i am not gaining much more length but its the style that will come into affect more as the kids get older.

So on my inital search I came across the makocraft Canyon Runner Series, it appears to have the best of both worlds. Can anybody shed any light on these boats & makocraft?

Hi Roy, the Mako that Tiger Shark is referring to is the Savage Mako, it is a fibreglass boat. I have seen a few Makocraft but never been in one. They are built by the Stessl family after they closed the factory on Stessl boats following money troubles-new owners are know making Stessl boats for what I understand. From the boats I have seen I think there are better aluminium boats out there, but I think the price of the Makocraft would be hard to beat. Trust me I could easily start selling Makcraft tomorrow if I wanted to, but I think I will staying with Stacer for a number of reasons. Yes they might be dearer but you get LEVEL floatation / self drainging elkele;';'pit / a walk thru cabin, which is a huge benefit compared to the hatch that most other brands have / they come STD with bimini,front clear, VHF radio, fishfinder, auto bilge pump and nav lights and as a dealer Telwater is a much better company to deal with pretty much anybody else that we have worked with over 40 odd years.

I notice that Makocraft have copied Stacers EVO hull-becasue it works, but I am not bashing them because they are not the only one to have copied it, with pretty much all the other major brands having a similar hull design, that is Savage, Allycraft and even some of the smaller custom guys are doing this. I am not saying Stacer developed this hull shape, becasue glass boats have been using it for years, because again it works in giving a boat the sofest ride and good stability.

When comparing brands see what the standard boat ONLY costs and then do your comparsions. If I was looking to buy a new boat that is what I would do becasue you can fit the same outboard and trailer to two different brands and the cost difference will be the boat and you want to make sure you are getting the best value for your money. Narrow it down to 2 or 3 that you like and can afford and then go for a run and buy from a dealer that you like and trust.

Just my 2 cents worth and I wish you all the best in your search for a bigger cabin boat,

Huey.

A boat you may want to look at is the Aussie Whaler Prof Fish 5.5. They have a heap of room can sleep 3, you can ave a toilet, they come with a transom door and plumed live bait tank.

Best features are huge elkele;';'pit and very stable.

post-144-1181092551_thumb.jpg

Excellent performance, reliability, safety and rugged durability are the only way to describe the Aussie Whaler Profish, featuring forward hatch through cabin anchoring access as well as walk round capability. The Profish 5.5 and 6.5 offer unsurpassed stability and elkele;';'pit area for the ultimate fishing platform.

Specifications

Centre Line Length: 5.5m

Maximum Beam:2.4m

Hull Weight: 720kg approx

Dead Rise Angle:17 degrees

Fuel Capacity: 140L

Load Capacity: 6 adults

Overall Height: 3m on trailer

Overall Length: 7m on trailer

Power Range:115 hp to 150hp

elkele;';'pit Area: 2.3mL x 1.8mW

Standard Equipment:

Hydraulic steering

Fibreglass hardtop with stainless steel support frame

Upholstered full width front cushion

Pedestal mounted upholstered bucket seats

Electric fuel gauge sender

Moulded self draining motor well

Full moulded interior liner with self draining elkele;';'pit including kill tank and forward storage lockers.

Navigation lights

Automatic bilge pump

Foam filled hull

Recessed side pockets

Moulded battery box

Inbuilt moulded live bait tank

Transom access door

2 boarding platforms

Bow roller and bollard

Deck cleats

Recessed stainless steel grab rails

stainless bow rail

Tinned copper wire

Switch panel

Options:

Two tone hull

Moulded cabin storage

Toilet lockers

Marine toilet

Stainless steel bait board

Stainless steel rocket launcher

Rod rack

Boarding ladder

Additional rod holders

Hardtop clears

Side curtains and storm cover

Hardtop extension awning

Bunk infill cushion to make double berth

Galvanised Dunbier tandem trailer

Optional seating for 2 or 4

Cheers

Martin

Thanks for inital replies guys.

I will be taking a keen interest in the Boat Show this year - that is for sure.

Huey - I would ideally love to stay with a quintrex or even look at a stacer, but they start to get $$$. I will obviously have a chat to you over the coming months as my plan starts to come together....

greetings

i had a large 6m stessl and it was superb. I regularly keep in touch with the guy i sold it to, and he

is estatic over it.

i have high regard for the stessl boats and the new mako ones,

quintrex. bluefin, trailcraft, stacer, sea jay, allycraft etc etc are great boats, in fact

i feel aussie aluminium boats cant be beat.

i have placed an order for my new mako craft, and it should be available within a couple of months.

ilk

mate i have the 5.2 steesl blue water (which i think is the cannon runners now ) and i would recomend to any one that wants something for the family and a great offshore fishing boat they are a deep and very stable boat

mik

Does anyone know a Sydney metro dealer that stocks these boats? As i notice there isnt one listed on their website

If anyone does, just remember to do the right thing and run it past the Mods/Admin before posting.

Edited by Wastin Time

Does anyone know a Sydney metro dealer that stocks these boats? As i notice there isnt one listed on their website

If anyone does, just remember to do the right thing and run it past the Mods/Admin before posting.

Might be a good idea to check out what huey has in stock.... He has some very nce boats for sale at very reasonal prices.

Might be a good idea to check out what huey has in stock.... He has some very nce boats for sale at very reasonal prices.

For sure TS, but i would also like to have a look at one of these boats in the flesh - not just glossy mags