Port Kembla Harbour

Rocky

Hi There. I have taken my boys down to fish the wharf at Port Kembla which is great fun. The harbour looks a great place for boating though and there are Islands just off the harbour that look very fishy as well.

Can anyone who has fished the area give me a little information about what has been caught, etc etc.

Thanks in Advance

Rocky

Hi There. I have taken my boys down to fish the wharf at Port Kembla which is great fun. The harbour looks a great place for boating though and there are Islands just off the harbour that look very fishy as well.

Can anyone who has fished the area give me a little information about what has been caught, etc etc.

Thanks in Advance

Rocky

G,day Rocky.

Inside the harbour you can catch Luderic, Bream small Snapper and juvinile Jews off any of the breakwalls, you can also get your fix of Taylor off the front of the northern and eastern breakwalls. Frigates, Bonito and some very welcome Kings also cruise these walls so be prepared as there have been some big fish caught here.

As for the islands Toothbrush which is the closest of the two islands east north east of the harbour will produce very good bream rock blackfish, Taylor, Kings, Bonito and Snapper, Mowies and very good numbers of Trevally. Pig Island just east of Toothbrush will pruce the same species though the kings can be mush bigger and more plentifull, the islands to the south will produce the same fish stocks again with the adition of very nice Salmon, just be mindfull of the bommies that can rise up from the north western corner of big island just under the coast guard look out. The beaches around the area will produce good catches of Bream, Flathead, Taylor, Whiting, Jew fish and Salmon.

So really its a matter of choosing your quarry for the time of year and hunting it down, the most popular baits would include the humble pillie, royal red prawns fresh squid and live yellowtail and slimy Mackeral all of which can be cought in and around the harbour.

Hope this helps a little. :1fishing1:

Cheers.