First Boat

silver28

Gday guys, a mate and myself are looking at getting a boat at the end of the year. Currently looking at a second hand tub between $15-$25 grand. Mainly going to use it for fishing of the coast and occasionally up the river on rougher days. Want something that can handle itself in rougher weather (nothing to stupid) room for atleast three fishing.

seen quite a few for about 18Grand about, but not sure on what hull shape or boat model we should get,have seen the barcrusher range look pretty good just a tad out of the price range. was thinking alloy due to it being the first boat and will probable take a few bangs and scratches

located in Perth

any ideas suggestions would be great

Gday guys, a mate and myself are looking at getting a boat at the end of the year. Currently looking at a second hand tub between $15-$25 grand. Mainly going to use it for fishing of the coast and occasionally up the river on rougher days. Want something that can handle itself in rougher weather (nothing to stupid) room for atleast three fishing.

seen quite a few for about 18Grand about, but not sure on what hull shape or boat model we should get,have seen the barcrusher range look pretty good just a tad out of the price range. was thinking alloy due to it being the first boat and will probable take a few bangs and scratches

located in Perth

any ideas suggestions would be great

Its worth noting that alloy boats are either plate or pressed construction. The latter is cheaper but more prone to hull failure (cracking and spliting). So for offshore fishing plate alloy is the usual choice for serious fishermen. Plate is usually quite a bit heavier too and as a result better riding.

Its worth noting that alloy boats are either plate or pressed construction. The latter is cheaper but more prone to hull failure (cracking and spliting). So for offshore fishing plate alloy is the usual choice for serious fishermen. Plate is usually quite a bit heavier too and as a result better riding.

You can pick up a 2002 Stessl Bluewater cuddy 5.5 mtr for about $22000 and thats what my aim is.They are plate and tough,make sure you get a decent donk though in a 4 stroke.

You can pick up a 2002 Stessl Bluewater cuddy 5.5 mtr for about $22000 and thats what my aim is.They are plate and tough,make sure you get a decent donk though in a 4 stroke.

as far as weight goes, am I going to have any trouble towing a boat of this size with a VT sedan V6? towbar is rated to 1600KG. Also does this model give you a pretty smooth ride? or in the chop is it like riding a car with out shocks over corigation/

as far as weight goes, am I going to have any trouble towing a boat of this size with a VT sedan V6? towbar is rated to 1600KG. Also does this model give you a pretty smooth ride? or in the chop is it like riding a car with out shocks over corigation/

Have a look on the net and no i do not think this would be a big issue with your v6 as alloy boats are a lot lighter than fibre.Alloy boats will always be a little rougher riding than fibre(from what i am told)but stessl seem to have come up with a good boat and in plate it makes it a much better ride.For the convenience of knowing your boat cant rot away and knowing you can get a lot newer boat and a lot bigger for your money is also good dont you think.There are so many alloy boats out there that making a choice should be easy when you set a budget and a size.Maybe some of the fishraiders with alloy can chip in some info.

mate you wont go wrong with a stessl i have the bluewater 5.2 2004 model for an alloy boat there a preety good ride and dry aswell very stable off shore boat but i would stay clear off the tri hull models they were prown to spliting so ive heard from the alloy welder who repairs them

cheers mik

Edited by fishingmik

Note though fiberglass is a lot tougher than people give it credit. Minor chips and gourges are easily fixed and realistically how often are you going to bash into things? Watch out for wood rot though - especially in the transom!

Im also looking at the Allison range of boats due to the covered cabin area at the front, Anyone here owned one out been in one.

Also I have seen that there are two different lengths overall length and centre line length. what is the difference.

Gday.

Ive got a VY v6 wagon and it towes my 530 Bar Crusher like it isnt there. The towing capacity of the commodores is rated up to 2100kg. My boat is 1250 kg in weight but I upgraded my towbar from the 1600kg to the 2100kg bar to allow a safety margin when adding extra wieght onto the boat when heading away on holidays. Also check that you have the correct tow ball for the weight that you are towing.

Cheers

BalmainBob