Outboard Trim & Tilt Problem

anthonypham67

Hi guys,

I have a yamaha 70HP outboard..and the tilt switch at the back on the side of the outboard doesnt seem to be working properly. The tilt switch on the side of the outboard only works when i press down, but not up. The switch on the throttle at the helm works fine for both up and down.

Would anyone know what would be causing this problem? or how this could be fixed?

any help or ideas / sugestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

regards

Anthony

The problem sounds like either 1) The switch has died , or 2) the wiring from the switch has come off or corroded.

Have a look at the wiring going to the switch , make sure all the connections are clean and tight. May as well check both switches while you are at it. If the wiring is OK , I would suspect the switch itself has failed .

Ross

:dito:

I would definately say a switch or wiring fault.

But seeing as though it is working when you press down I would say that it would be more then likely a faulty switch.

Edited by rzep

Hi guys,

I have a yamaha 70HP outboard..and the tilt switch at the back on the side of the outboard doesnt seem to be working properly. The tilt switch on the side of the outboard only works when i press down, but not up. The switch on the throttle at the helm works fine for both up and down.

Would anyone know what would be causing this problem? or how this could be fixed?

any help or ideas / sugestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

regards

Anthony

Hi Anthony

The other posters would be right. I have a manual which explains checking the tilt switch. I can PM/Email that section to you if you would like? I dont know if it would be allowed to post it up as it is a publication?

rgds jim