Hard Gear Box

Jamiel1000

Hi fellow fishraiders

I have a 2003 yammy 40hp 2 stroke

the throttle lever is very hard to move from Neutral - Forward and from Forward to Reverse and viser versa

I have removed and greased to throttle lever assembly and cables and they seem to be fine

but as soon as they are reconnected to the motor they get hard to move again

once in gear the throttle works fine

any ideas on what might be wrong

cheers

Hi fellow fishraiders

I have a 2003 yammy 40hp 2 stroke

the throttle lever is very hard to move from Neutral - Forward and from Forward to Reverse and viser versa

I have removed and greased to throttle lever assembly and cables and they seem to be fine

but as soon as they are reconnected to the motor they get hard to move again

once in gear the throttle works fine

any ideas on what might be wrong

cheers

Might have to lower the revs...

Good Morning, remove the gearbox and see what difference that makes. If the gearshift is nice and free then the problem is in the gearbox. If still stiff you are going to have a problem with the linkages in the engine, due to the fact that you say when the controls are removed from the outboard the control box is nice and free.

Cheers,

Huey.

Good Morning, remove the gearbox and see what difference that makes. If the gearshift is nice and free then the problem is in the gearbox. If still stiff you are going to have a problem with the linkages in the engine, due to the fact that you say when the controls are removed from the outboard the control box is nice and free.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks for the info guys

I am an ex mechanic, is the gear box removal an easy job, looks like you disconnect the linkage and undo the bottom leg bolts and drop it down.

is that about the it?

I gather that if the problem is in the gear box it would have to go to a outboard mechanic

what about the gear box oil level could this have an effect

any help is appreciated

Hi mate, the gearbox is easy to remove. Disconnect the shiftshaft, trim the outboard up and remove the bolts and the gearbox falls away.

If you have low gear oil which has caused the gears/bearings to fail then yes that will be the cause of the hardshifting and can be expensive to repair, but I doubt that is the problem. I am guess the tightness will be in the linkages in the powerhead.

While you have the gearbox off, best to drain the oil checking for water and debris and then replace the gearbox oil, we have a good kit for about $35 which includes HPF gear oil and pump to make it an easy job to do once a season. Also with the g/box off replace the impeller while you are there-not expensive and easy to do, unless it was done in the last 18-24 months.

Call me if you need any further help,

Cheers,

Craig.

Hi mate, the gearbox is easy to remove. Disconnect the shiftshaft, trim the outboard up and remove the bolts and the gearbox falls away.

If you have low gear oil which has caused the gears/bearings to fail then yes that will be the cause of the hardshifting and can be expensive to repair, but I doubt that is the problem. I am guess the tightness will be in the linkages in the powerhead.

While you have the gearbox off, best to drain the oil checking for water and debris and then replace the gearbox oil, we have a good kit for about $35 which includes HPF gear oil and pump to make it an easy job to do once a season. Also with the g/box off replace the impeller while you are there-not expensive and easy to do, unless it was done in the last 18-24 months.

Call me if you need any further help,

Cheers,

Craig.

thanks heaps for the info will have a look at it once this rain takes off

thanks again

where abouts is the place where these parts are sold

I am at Ryde NSW

cheers

Here is the information for Craig

HUETT MARINE CENTRE

www.huettmarine.com.au

Mr Craig Huett