Paint Bubbling

gaz

i have a 2005 coast runner quinnie and have after seeing the paint bubbling around the s/s screws, taken them all out and coated them in duralac - now i gather this will stop any further reaction between the dissimilar metals and secondly will the bubbling therefore not get any worse than it is and then can be left as it is??.

I dont really want to disturb the effected areas as it is not that bad. What is underneath the bubbling or is it just the paint lifted from the ally?

I had the same problem with my Allycraft :(

I found it was better to rub back the affected areas and re spray or hand touch up the corrosion as the problem will continue to get bigger

The Big problem is that salt gets under the unpainted areas and the problem begins I now paint all edges of drilled holes and Sicoflex brackets or mounts or have fish oiled under rod holders and have never had a problem since

I had the same problem with my Allycraft :(

I found it was better to rub back the affected areas and re spray or hand touch up the corrosion as the problem will continue to get bigger

The Big problem is that salt gets under the unpainted areas and the problem begins I now paint all edges of drilled holes and Sicoflex brackets or mounts or have fish oiled under rod holders and have never had a problem since

I agree with wetpatch, better to contain it. I have one section on my used boat under the aerial that has run rampant. I also treat all holes i drill with etch and then paint before putting lanolin on, bit of mucking around but worth it in the long run. Kill rust brand now have an epoxy etch and enamel paint in spray tins which would be handy if the colours match, alternativley you can buy the epoxy enamel in 250mls and get it tinted.

Wetpatch how have you found surface corrosion in other areas with the allycraft? When looking for boats (4+ years old) most allycrafts i veiwed had corrossion coming from under the paint, mainly around the tops of the gunnels, dash areas (if not plastic). Not enough to deter me but a tad offputing. Otherwise i thought they were excellent. Went for a ride in a 455/460 bay raider with 50 jono, liked the boat just was a tad too small for my needs and didnt like the motor. Think the Bar raider/attacker (whatever next one up) would have been perfect for me but they were outside what i wanted to spend.

Cheers all.

Very similar issue with my Trailcraft - I actually contacted trailcraft as the boat was only 4 years old and the bubbles were popping up everywhere there was any screws rivets - around the guages and also around where the floor meets the carpet etc .They blamed the dealer for not using a jointing paste and also recommended I get the motor earth tested as apparently if the motor is not earthed correctly this can accelerate the whole process - don't know how but I had it earth tested just in case and as the other guys have said I have found the best way to handle the problem has been to get it right back to bare metal ( a wire brush drill attachment was quite useful for this ) Then prime and repaint around the holes then add Duralac as well - so far so good .

I agree with wetpatch, better to contain it. I have one section on my used boat under the aerial that has run rampant. I also treat all holes i drill with etch and then paint before putting lanolin on, bit of mucking around but worth it in the long run. Kill rust brand now have an epoxy etch and enamel paint in spray tins which would be handy if the colours match, alternativley you can buy the epoxy enamel in 250mls and get it tinted.

Wetpatch how have you found surface corrosion in other areas with the allycraft? When looking for boats (4+ years old) most allycrafts i veiwed had corrossion coming from under the paint, mainly around the tops of the gunnels, dash areas (if not plastic). Not enough to deter me but a tad offputing. Otherwise i thought they were excellent. Went for a ride in a 455/460 bay raider with 50 jono, liked the boat just was a tad too small for my needs and didnt like the motor. Think the Bar raider/attacker (whatever next one up) would have been perfect for me but they were outside what i wanted to spend.

Cheers all.

Mate sorry for the late reply

Over all the paint jobs on the Ally's are good There biggest problem is at the welds or under the gunnel lips or where bloody bracket holed are drilled

But the biggest thing that really pee's me is Why the hell do they drill hole in boats for aerial brackets and rod holder Yet Don't repaint unprotected edges or sicoflex every thing to prevent salt water corrosion If you want a cheap anti corrosion solution spray fish oil inder the brackets that crap goes off like honey and Ive found also helps heaps