Woronora Blackfish?

mjb

After reading all the great Fishraider blackfish reports, it got me motivated to

join the fun.

When I was a lot younger, dad and I used to blackfish out of Currarong

at little Beecroft, where I learn't some of the basic's of blackfishing. I've got some

great memories of tussles between the big winter bronze blackfish and my old man,

who would curse and swear if he dropped one in the wash.

Now 30 years on, I was hoping to teach my kids the same and I was wondering if

anyone could offer some advise on tides and known spots to chase blackfish along the

Woronora River. (a lot safer for kids)

I intend to fish from a tinny, and any help would be appreciated.

Cheers in advance. :thumbup:

Mick.

G'day Mick

Try the rock bars across the other side of the river from Lakewood reserve at Bonnet Bay.

There is a bit of a bay that stretches about 350 metres, at each tip there are rock bars

surrounded by deeper water. Towards the middle of the bay on the bangor side there is

another rock bar exposed at low tide.

I fished the area hard for the best part 20 years, though mainly I targeted bream and

flathead on hard bodies (back when soft plastics meant Mister Twisters..). Have had them

smashing live bloodworms many a time at all these spots while fishing for bream.

There are often die-hards there targeting them and I have watched plenty being pulled out

over the years. I never used weed but if you berley up and used a standard rig at these

spots with green weed they do hold fish so with a bit of time and effort you should

definitely get a few.

The middle rock bar is good for everything at all times of the tide. As far as tides go I

preferred bigger tides and fishing a few hours into dusk but have caught fish at all times and

all tides.

Any areas that are rocky with suitable depth and covered with shadow would be well worth

a try.

G`day Fellas ,

MICK , If you are in a tinny , then the area indicated by the Map below is ideal to teach your Kids .

The Blackies in this spot , are as thick as A Bulldog Forward , and the flow is also Ideal for blackfishing.

Just under the " R" in Fowler Rd , is a magic eddy , which always produced the Goods .

It is also a top spot for Leather Jackets as well , with Bream nearly always a by product of the catch .

The odd jew was always a chance , and when the Blackies dropped off , we would change Tack and target Bream and Leatheries .

The Leatheries were always enormous Chinamen , and the Bream good size Schoolies.

Don`t forget the Berly , I always added a handfull of Bran to the sand & weed mix , a trick shown to me by an old local who was my mentor for this area.

Good Luck !.

Mick

G'day Mick

Try the rock bars across the other side of the river from Lakewood reserve at Bonnet Bay.

There is a bit of a bay that stretches about 350 metres, at each tip there are rock bars

surrounded by deeper water. Towards the middle of the bay on the bangor side there is

another rock bar exposed at low tide.

I fished the area hard for the best part 20 years, though mainly I targeted bream and

flathead on hard bodies (back when soft plastics meant Mister Twisters..). Have had them

smashing live bloodworms many a time at all these spots while fishing for bream.

There are often die-hards there targeting them and I have watched plenty being pulled out

over the years. I never used weed but if you berley up and used a standard rig at these

spots with green weed they do hold fish so with a bit of time and effort you should

definitely get a few.

The middle rock bar is good for everything at all times of the tide. As far as tides go I

preferred bigger tides and fishing a few hours into dusk but have caught fish at all times and

all tides.

Any areas that are rocky with suitable depth and covered with shadow would be well worth

a try.

How good's this for a reply plus location help too!

Heaps of applause :thumbup:

jewgaffer

fish on :1fishing1:

G`day Fellas ,

MICK , If you are in a tinny , then the area indicated by the Map below is ideal to teach your Kids .

The Blackies in this spot , are as thick as A Bulldog Forward , and the flow is also Ideal for blackfishing.

Just under the " R" in Fowler Rd , is a magic eddy , which always produced the Goods .

It is also a top spot for Leather Jackets as well , with Bream nearly always a by product of the catch .

The odd jew was always a chance , and when the Blackies dropped off , we would change Tack and target Bream and Leatheries .

The Leatheries were always enormous Chinamen , and the Bream good size Schoolies.

Don`t forget the Berly , I always added a handfull of Bran to the sand & weed mix , a trick shown to me by an old local who was my mentor for this area.

Good Luck !.

Mick

another excellent reply and a map with it too!

heaps of applause :thumbup:

jewgaffer

Have a go along the face of the pontoons as well. Just drift your float straight down along the ones that look worse for wear.

Dave

[/quote

location nicely fine tuned

excellent! :thumbup:

jewgaffer

Guys what can I say but :thumbup: and thanks for sharing your

blackfish spots with us. The replies were great.

I just hope I haven't lost the "blackie touch".

Cheers and thanks

Mick.