Oil Filled Bearing Hubs - Have U Tried Them?

Croydon

G'day folks,

I was wondering if anyone has tried using the oil filled wheel bearing hubs. I won't mention the brand as I'm not sure if it's against site rules.

I've had them on my boat trailer for the past 6 months and they seem to work quite well. I've only had two problems which have both been related to my lack of mechanical skill. The first problem was the rear rubber grommet not sealing properly due to it being damaged when I put it on and the second was a torn rubber grommet on the front 'viewing window' which tore when a split pin turned and cut the grommet. I contacted the manufacturer on both occasions, who were extremely helpful and within a few days mailed me replacement parts free of charge! Couldn't be happier with their after sales service.

I was wondering if anyone else has/is using them and what their longevity was like........

Croydon

I will be interested myself also...................

my main concern was in not knowing if they would

still be on the trailer when i got back from fishing' As it would work

out costly replacing them all the time...... but you have got 6 months

on the board, so maybe that would'nt be the case..............

Cheers Warnie......

I have been using them on my trailer, I took my boat up to Forster from Sutherland Shire a 41/2 hour trip I checked the bearings every time I stopped to rest and they weren't even warm.

No oil was used both ways and I am happy with they way they work,if any water does make its way into the hub you can see it straight away, a quick drain, refill and you can get home to clean out and replace/clean the bearings.

I don't think they are at any more risk then bearing buddies, just my opinion

Big-Pete :1welcomeani:

are you talking about bearing buddies or something else

CaineS,

No not bearing buddies. The bearings are lubricated via an oil bath instead of grease. The front of the hub has a 'viewing window' so you can see the level of the oil over the bearings or if they've been contaminated by water. Seem to be working pretty well so far......

My brother has had a set of "sea bears" for over 10 years. On 1 occasion a fitting came loose & he noticed the oil was full of water. He fixed it when he got home. Other than that he hasn't changed the oil or even looked at the bearings. He has dragged that boat & trailer all over the place for 10 years, no problems.

I've had them on my trailer for the past 3 years with no problems. I change my oil every 12 months.