Bring On The Barra!

Seagoon

Get this - climate change may result in Barra migrating down to Sydney!!! Id love to get into some local bucket mouth. May have some time time to wait, and i have to tell you i hope that it doesnt happen, because it would also mean that the fishing existing fishing landscape that i love so much would change... ill be bummed so badly if the Sydney yabbie population drowns...!

Cut and pasted from www.abc.net.au:

North Australian barramundi may be forced to migrate as far south as New South Wales as climate change impacts on sea temperatures.

The prediction follows a study by scientists from the Australian Institute of Marine Science, who have investigated how climate change is affecting reef fish.

Sea temperatures naturally fluctuate by up to 10 degrees Celsius, but the Institute's Dr Mark Meekan says larger variations may force fish to swim south.

"In terms of barramundi, in the Territory they are very widespread," he said.

"In other places, what it may do with them is shift them south from their normal range. So eventually we may get barramundi turning up all over New South Wales - not just in northern Queensland."

Full article:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/07/08/1972788.htm