What Makes A Good Jew Spot?

henryinnis

Guest Reely

Water out of too much current, place where eddies form, bait holding places, structure like caves or mounds in the bottom, bridges, rocks, junctions of two points in a river.

Just on the subject of jews, and maybe even flatties, what sort of things should I be looking for on the sounder?

Is it holes, channels, dropoffs, bumps, reefs??

Cheers.

Henry

in rivers i have found they ambush in sandy bottoms near rock, reef and bridge structure etc generally into a minimum of say 10 feet deep.

i have seen evidence of them operating in packs like cattle dogs in muster.

bream are also similiar to cattle dogs and often single out larger mullet, peck their eyes out and shut off their breathing works by crushing their mouth and snout together and then busting open their gut.

you can tell it's bream on the boil, and not jewies, by the double tail splashes which erupt on the surface when bream are herding up and attacking from under.

like a fox hunts against the wind, jewies hunt against a current usually as river fish move and this can be either during the run in and the run out in regular thoroughfares that you have to establish yourself. there is always a challenge seasonly to locate jewie thoroughfares where sands shift and move around according to tides over time and weather patterns just as beach gutters fill in.

when smaller fish stop to re-form their schools at the ebb and the still of the top jewies appear, get into a few which quickly sends the school scurrying into saftey.

marauding jewies going into rivers from the sea have a preference for the run out near river mouths and deeper entrance points to offshoots and alcoves etc where they await in ambush and attack from below.

if you fish waters dropping suddenly, close towards the deeper waters you mention, including the main dropoff if more than one.

as to formation of bait fish you should see bare spots in your sounder pattern or better still i like to see no baitfish at all and find that the small bream have dissappeared as well.

fishing in known jewie territory should get you a jewie or three, with larger flathead just before and during the periods when jewies come around, as i've seen many a small flathead degenerating inside the gut of a jewfish.

so good signs are catching a ray, or a shovel nose or a larger flathead as they tend to be at ease at jewie time.

but to get a gist of their thoroughfare on the day you should also have a rod into the deeper sections of what you mention but you should expect be tangling with all the usual bottom dwelling freaks as well.

hope this helps.

jewgaffer

fish on :1fishing1:

.....Good luck on the jewies everyone... This has got me fired up to try some new spots!

high jimmy c looks like i learn a bit more every day at my 60 odd years of age. seeing sydney harbour firing for andrew (humesy) it seems like the sydney harbour southerly shelters are firing as the seabreeze drops with near schoolie sized fish as opposed to the different aspect of south on the hawkes where soapies seem to be the only ones around just yet.

mate from where you are, the southerly shelter is burraneer, an old favourite of mine and probably the one and only insurance policy in that whole darn little stream.

i reckon good schoolies and biggies may already be flying in to burraneer having found the salmon a bit too fast for them at the blue edges outside.

so i'll tell you what i think could hsave you right back into them despite this lousy never ending southerly aspect is to try burraneer

you'll easy find 60feet at lower burraneer - and burlying a fixed bottom bomb and holding heaps of minced pillies down deep with a couple of big pillies loaded to indentify what's there and to hold the little elkele;';'ney reds.

have big livies and big skinned calamarie strips or whole arrows downbreeze from your bottom bomb. when there's no more fish, persevere just as humesy did and then hang on to your hat.

you'll find big yakkas on gymea baths and don't be afraid to use the biggest ones. you'll find your squid off dolans wharf at almost any time it now seems according to a regular taren pt land based jew fisho who incidentally reckons they haven't hit at the bridge just yet only trevs have come in.

hope this helps jimmy as you sound really keen to have a go at them go after the words from humesy and it looks to me to be a really good example for the similiar burraneer.

hope this helps jimmy

jewgaffer

fish on :1fishing1: