Hand Held Gps Yes/no

micksfishn

hi all with another summer season on its way im looking at targeting different species and im looking at a hand held gps to find different marks wat im wondering is are they worth it or not, how accurate are they,as you may of picked up iv never used 1 wat brand would you all reccomend for the virgin gps bloke?i need an idiot proof one i got no idea at all.

cheers mick

Breamhunter,

I have a handheld GPS and I think its fantastic.

Its pretty accurate (accurate to about 5 meters it think) but it is accurate enough for me to find the FADs and reefs without any problems at all. I have connected it to the fishfinder so they can speak to each other so I see it on the sounder and hear it on the GPS (it beeps at me when I arrive).

Look for one that is waterproof, can be connected to the computer to manage your way points and (preferably) has the option to add additional memory through an SD card.

I have a Magellan platinum and its as easy as pie to use. Has lots of nice features such as a barometer, thermometer, tide and moon calendar and function that tells me when the best time is to fish.

Garmin is another good brand.

If you need some help you can buy DVDs that explain how to properly use some of the more popular GPS

Evets

post-3591-1184415106_thumb.jpgwell i didnt get a responce as quick as i needed it so i took it on myself to make a call was watching a lorance gps,hard cover and some leads on ebay seller had 55 sales with 100% feed back so im taking a chance won the item a massive $20.50 +$10 postage suppose to work fine see wat happens when or if i recieve it hey heres a pic for $30 i wont be that upset if its no good

cheers mick