Brisbane Waters - 16 July 2007

copafisher

Brisbane waters - 16 July 2007

Hi Fishraiders, finally 1st fish(less) post up.

2 weeks of school holidays and finally managed to get the boat out. Hit the water at Eulalie at about 10am with me (Copafisher/Steve), my young bloke Peter, my mate Muz and his 2 boys, Ben & Mitch.

Stupidly managed to hit the shallows within the first 100m, because I was taking more interest in watching my mate prep bait. Glanced ahead, open water, motored up and totally missed the new marker Maritime put in, even though its now bigger :bump0ee: ! Managed to break a hydroplane wing off with a rock off the prop, but no other serious damage.

Went over to the western side of the Rip to wet some prawns. Some nice big fish on the sounder, in about 50 ft. Was looking good, caught a nice soapie here last time on some fresh squid. Beautiful day, but few bites. I finally pulled in a small female blue swimmer, which quickly went back, before the boys could start playing with it. Mitch then pulled a nice blue that went 8.5cm, which he only got as he somehow managed a half hitch around his biggest claw.

The boys spotted a sea turtle, I got a glimpse but he was gone by the time the camera was out.

Moved to the eastern side, but even less bites. Moved to Davistown, not a nibble, retired at 3pm as the boys were starting to get restless.

Have a good shot of the swimmer but have not yet worked photos out yet (have to reread the guides etc), lost the post and photo the first time :( .

Cheers guys (& ladies), really enjoying this site.

Copafisher (Steve)

Well done guys,

Great to see another post from Brisbane waters, even though you didn't catch anything substantial it really helps us out when we launch the boat. Some information is better than none. My big mate Ray and I almost exclusively fish the Brisbane Waters and the mouth of the Hawksbury and you really need to target your species to be consistently successfull. At the moment we have been catching some quality whiting around the sandbars at Ettalong and Hardys Bay. The trick is to pump yabbies and keep moving around drifting until you find a patch. Although this can take some time once you get a descent one you will more than likely get a couple in the same area. From my experience winter can be tough going to get a feed.

Thanks again and hope to see you out there.

Regards, Hutcho

yeh thanks also for the report i found it pretty dead over the holidays

only caught 4 whiting which were legal in 2 outings, was a fair bit of

small stuff thrown back. . . we fished around wagstaffe, the rip, and

several spots in patties which usually produce for us. . .

hutcho, although this winter has been dead. . . i found that last years

winter realy fired well for me anyway patties fished all winter and many

good fish was taken. . . my picture which consists of 2 trev, 6 bream and

4 whiting was from a couple of hour session last winter. . .

anyway all the best for the both of you for your next outings keep us all

posted on how u go. . .

regards mark

Hi Steve (and the other Brissie Waters fishos)

I too have found the system particularly dead this winter - spent a fruitless Saturday on the water a couple of weeks ago for one bream and we must have tried out just about every spot and technique we could think of (with the exception of drifting for whiting or soaking weed for blackies under the Rip- the two techniques I am now lead to believe would have been successful!!).

It's definitely a tough system during winter and I reckon us BW fishos should stick together to help each other out!

I'm Sydney based but manage to get the boat out probably once or twice a month (almost always on the weekends). It's a white 5.1m quintrex topender with a 90hp Merc optimax on the back and big Fishraider stickers on either side - moored permanently at Hardy's Bay marina.

If you see me on the water please feel free to come and say hi.

Mondo

Hi, I'm Hutcho,s big mate Ray, we'll try to get out on the BW this weekend , might try for some hairies in the evening, or just for some whiting using pumped yabbies, hope to see some raiders out there. Keep tryin' Copafisho you will find 'em somewhere.. See Ya Ray R..

Hi Mark,

Ray and I (don't be scared by his photo, he really is friendly) usually fish out of my boat which is a 480 Quintrex Coastrunner about six months old with a 90 Merc on the back as well. Bloody stoked with the boat and touch wood it has been going like a champion. I have been fishing the Brisbane Waters for about 35 years now and it seems techinques which I used as a kid, just aren't relevant as much anymore. We have much more luck these days using plastics. The trick is finding the fish.

Good luck out there and we will keep any eye out for you.

Regards, Hutcho

Hi Mark,

Ray and I (don't be scared by his photo, he really is friendly) usually fish out of my boat which is a 480 Quintrex Coastrunner about six months old with a 90 Merc on the back as well. Bloody stoked with the boat and touch wood it has been going like a champion. I have been fishing the Brisbane Waters for about 35 years now and it seems techinques which I used as a kid, just aren't relevant as much anymore. We have much more luck these days using plastics. The trick is finding the fish.

Good luck out there and we will keep any eye out for you.

Regards, Hutcho

g'day hutcho i usually fish brisbane waters in a 4.7 mtr cruise craft with a 90 merc also.

i will definately keep an eye for ya's. i actually havent yet tried with plastics consistently

in brisbane waters i still fish with a bait on the end of the 3 - 4 foot trace and smallish

ball sinker. but neway good luck with the fishing and keep us all posted.

regards mark