Soft Plastics/lures For Mulloway (jew)

VoodooChile78

I know a place where I can get decent shool Jew (4-6kg) but when you put out a bait the local Bream population has a field day destroying the baits in no time flat.

I have some hard body lures but I don't think they will get down deep enough to where the Jew are holed up (about 5-10m)...so was thinking Soft Plastics as I can get them down deep and the Bream should leave them alone...Anyone caught Jew on SP's? If so, what ones work?

Cheers

Mike L.

The 5 inch gulp jerk shads have been known to work on schoolies. Also the 3 or 4 inch gulp pogies. Really, any largish shad style plastic with a lot of tail vibration should do the job.

As you have already mentioned, the key to fishing plastics for jewies is to maintain contact with the bottom. In 10m of water, you'd probably use a 1/4 oz head (more or less depending on current).

(If you're feeling generous with the location, feel free to PM me! :biggrin2:)

The 5 inch gulp jerk shads have been known to work on schoolies. Also the 3 or 4 inch gulp pogies. Really, any largish shad style plastic with a lot of tail vibration should do the job.

As you have already mentioned, the key to fishing plastics for jewies is to maintain contact with the bottom. In 10m of water, you'd probably use a 1/4 oz head (more or less depending on current).

(If you're feeling generous with the location, feel free to PM me! :biggrin2:)

location is in brisbane!

A Jew will take most plastics as long as they are presented properly. :biggrin2: Some good advice there from David L. I've done well on the 5" jerk shads & the 4" pogy's. Some others are 5" gulp shads. 3 & 4" bass minnows, 100mm squidgy fish, tsunamis, wild eye shads & also sluggos.

1/8 & 1/4 oz jigheads will do the trick at the depth you'll be fishing. I like to go a bit lighter around the tide changes & rip them up a couple of times & then twich them lightly as they are dropping. Most fish will hit a plastic on the drop.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Grant.