Bayliner Question

locodave

Hey guys,

Been looking for boats :D

Came across this BAYLINER 160 BOWRIDER 2001 MODEL except it comes with an outboard ??

I thought all Bayliners come with an inboard. For some reason I think the big outboard looks ugly on this thing :P But anyway just wondering if you guys think he just added that on, or it comes like that from the factory.

Thanks.

Hi Dave, most Bayliners that come into OZ are with Mercuriser, but because Brunswick owns both Mercury and Bayliner you sometimes see them with outboards which I doubt was fitted at the factory-if you want to be sure get the serial number and call Mercury and find out if it was sold to an Australian dealer. The reason that M/cruisers are much more popular is to do with cost. It is much cheaper to buy the Bayliner with the M/cruiser fitted and paid for in US dollars, instead of buying just the boat from Bayliner and then fitting the outboard once it arrives in Australia and paying the price we get charged here for outboards. Also Bayliner would buy 100,000 odd M/cruisers per year compared to an Australian outboard dealer that might buy 200 odd engine per year.

At present it is cheaper from me to buy a Stacer with a 3.0L (135HP) than it is with a basic carby 90HP Mercury, that 3.0L Mercruiser is just a very cheap engine and I am sure someone like Bayliner would be getting them even cheaper than Telwater.

If you like the boat and is priced right the outboard will offer you better performance than the STD 3.0L Mercruiser and also not be as expensive to maintain and service, but the M/cruiser will use less fuel and be quieter. If it was me I would prefer an outboard, but it all has to do with the price. PM me if you like with the details and I can tell you if it is good value.

Cheers,

Huey.