Buying Private

choad

Hoping for help again raiders.

Does anyone have advice about the process of buying a used boat privately?

my main concerns are,

1. checking if money is owing on the boat,

2. can i arrange insurance or do i need an inspection of some sort first?

3. any special paperwok required for transferring registration, and roughly how much that would cost.

4. do i need to draft a contract/receipt of the sale and will this be sufficient protection?

5. should i get a surveyor to check it? do people do this for small trailer boats?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Are there other problems to look out for (apart from buying a lemon)?

Thanks.

Edited by choad

Replies in red below

Hoping for help again raiders.

Does anyone have advice about the process of buying a used boat privately?

my main concerns are,

1. checking if money is owing on the boat,Each State has there own REVS money checking deptartment

Do a check just before you purchase the boat as,If you do it 4 days before purchase they can go and get finance on the boat i that time

2. can i arrange insurance or do i need an inspection of some sort first?You can arrange insurance over the phone and should be done just before purchase (don,t wait until you get home ) any thing can happen on the way home.It also depends on how much your wanting to insure the boat for.If the insurance company

doesn,t agree it will need to be assessed for a insurance value.

3. any special paperwok required for transferring registration, and roughly how much that would cost.You will need a receipt of sale for the boat and make sure it includes all relevant numbers trailer rego #,trailer vin# Boat hull #,engine# etc.I think if the hull doesn,t have a hull# or a boat code (waterays auth tag) it will need to get one and needs to be done by a qualified boat code person.coat approx 30-60 of memory you will need the hull# check by this person if it is comin from interstate. Rego cost see the HERE its worked out on .5m lengths after a certain length.this is for rego .But transfer is only $24 if it is current in NSW.If you buy interstate you can use it with that rego for max 3months only then need to transfer it to your name

4. do i need to draft a contract/receipt of the sale and will this be sufficient protection?

5. should i get a surveyor to check it? do people do this for small trailer boats?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Are there other problems to look out for (apart from buying a lemon)?

Thanks.

Edited by johnno

Replies in red below

Choad, All Johnno's point are valid, also make sure in NSW the sale receipt must have certain wording re payment in full or such.

Unless you are extremely experienced at boating I would get it checked by somebody you trust or can be recommended. My own experience on my first 2 boats taught me the hardway. Current boat is coming from a reputable dealer (I hope) A few hundred dollars dropped now on an inspection with a reputable company could be great insurance.

Pending your location why don’t you contact Huey @ Huett Marine and get a price on a pre purchase inspection.